Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starter jacket - HD Sportster from @Monitor

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Hi guys - noob here again. I received the HD Sportster from Monitor (thanks) and it is awesome. It is cool to wear something that is 50 years old and has so much character. This my first buy of a vintage article so old - I have a 20-year old Dolce and Gabbana kangaroo jacket - don't laugh, it is a pretty cool jacket with a cafe racer cut and a mandarin collar. But this is badass... as you know there is a fine line with sight-unseen purchases, even when you know your measurements cold. The jacket could be too tight - I could not pull off a too-tight jacket at my age... ;). Or it could be slightly too generous, which might be the case here. I usually wear 18" in shoulders; this is 19". But what the hell, I will layer up and wear it when it is cooler. The hide is thick and slightly stiff - this jacket was meant for biking, after all. I don't ride, except a bicycle...:). On the crappy pics below I am wearing a t-shirt underneath it, but a sweater or light hoodie will fit no problem. I love the simple cut of the jacket and lack of pockets. I always liked jackets (my wife thinks I am nuts), and I am glad there are more folks like me!!! Please critique (are sleeves too long?) - I need fit tips because I am already eyeing Aero BR in Blackened Brown Vicenza... :O. Full blown disease...lol
edit.jpg
edit2.jpg
edit3.jpg

The fit is great. Sleeves probably a tad long, especially if you don’t ride. Just a tad. But everything else looks great. Imo, where the sleeves land is personal preference based on look, comfort and purpose. All said, Monitor hooked you up. Great jacket that looks great on you.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
jacket looks like perfectly fit except for the neck hole, if you're going custom made, probably you need a bigger neck hole.

A sentence that has never been uttered before, “you need a bigger neck hole”. Lol, love it. And yes, it does look snug now that I really look at it.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That fit looks perfect to me Will! Layer under it if you’re cold but it looks awesome with just a t shirt.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Very nice jacket. I’ve been seeking a Sportster for some time myself. I’ve got a 1960s Bates racing shirt with slightly long sleeves (like your Sportster). I just zip them 3/4 of the way so they’re a little more comfortable. That’s a keeper CR for sure. Enjoy it!

technovox

One Too Many
Nice score! And this Harley Sportster is the earlier version with the Conmar diamond pull. Usually these jackets are only available in small sizes, so you really lucked out in finding this one. The body length looks spot on. Maybe a little bunched up in the arms, but the waist and shoulders give a slim, well fitting profile on you. I think the longer sleeves are an added bonus- the sleeves on most vintage jackets are typically too short...on me anyway. Personally, I'd keep it. If you go a size down, it will probably be way too tight and short in the length. I've owned several of these over the years...still have three of them, and I love their simple classic design, the weight of the horsehide Harley used back then, and the shape of the cut. It's really hard to beat this combo in any other cafe racer.

Um... @Will Zach , I'm pretty sure you didn't get that jacket from me. As much as I'd love to have been in a possession of an original HD Sportster CR at any point in my life, sadly, sharing an eBay link is as far as my involvement with this jacket went. XD

I am happy, though, I played at least some role in this because in my opinion, it fits you brilliant! Damnit, these jackets are SO well tailored. I can't think of any other brand that makes such a well shaped jacket... I'd keep this one. It's a guaranteed profit, too so you've no worries either way.

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
Damn! I really like that fit. If it were me, I'd wear it in the rain while moving to get the shoulders to relax a bit and form to your body. The sleeves may be a tad long but absolutely nothing to worry about.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Um... @Will Zach , I'm pretty sure you didn't get that jacket from me. As much as I'd love to have been in a possession of an original HD Sportster CR at any point in my life, sadly, sharing an eBay link is as far as my involvement with this jacket went. XD

I am happy, though, I played at least some role in this because in my opinion, it fits you brilliant! Damnit, these jackets are SO well tailored. I can't think of any other brand that makes such a well shaped jacket... I'd keep this one. It's a guaranteed profit, too so you've no worries either way.

Ok, I misunderstood. :) Big thanks anyway for hooking me up. I agree that the cut on this jacket is just awesome. Tailored just right. I do agree with a previous poster that a size down might be perfect in the shoulders but too tight across the body. Oh well - need to do more push ups to match my body to the jacket ;). One more way a good jacket makes your life better, lol.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Great style CR but only you can truly decide if it fits. Otherwise it will stay in the closet. For me, shoulders are a super critical measurement on a leather jacket. An inch too big when the leather is stiff/dry/new might seem ok since the stiffness is almost acting like a shoulder pad giving you a wider profile. But once the leather softens / drapes, then you'll have that excess shoulder droop and effectively making the sleeves even longer.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Great style CR but only you can truly decide if it fits. Otherwise it will stay in the closet. For me, shoulders are a super critical measurement on a leather jacket. An inch too big when the leather is stiff/dry/new might seem ok since the stiffness is almost acting like a shoulder pad giving you a wider profile. But once the leather softens / drapes, then you'll have that excess shoulder droop and effectively making the sleeves even longer.

That is exactly correct. Yesterday I thought the look was a lot like eighties shoulder-pad look. Today I am wearing the jacket with wet rags over the shoulders (yes, I am certifiably nuts) to have them form better to the body. The look seems a bit better, or it's just in my head. I will post pics when I am done and the shoulders are dry.The sleeves do not seem to extend, because they stop at the hands due to the their narrowness (I like them zipped up). They just seem to bunch up more, which I suppose is fine, unless they look like Michelin Man. I will keep the jacket for cooler months when I can layer. Then the extra inch in the shoulders will come in handy. What I did notice is that the jacket is supremely comfortable for driving. I drive with my hands fully extended (seat all the way back) and driving was a pleasure. It was made for riding, so no surprise there.

Last edited:

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
i've had two Sportsters .. one a 48 (gone) and just got this 42. shoulders are tailored that way. i dig it! wish there wasn't soo much material at upper arms. overall f'n love the jacket! .. no more anxiety about warm weather! ; ) as it's a perfect summer coat. leather <looked> great on both i've handled tho' was a little stiff. i've also noticed that it's typical their panels are mis-matched. here's my 42 and a keen ad from 55' gushing about the Sportster being made from "Naugolite" !!! i like fit of yours very much, btw.

s-l1600.jpg

IMG_4297.jpg

IMG_4299.jpg

IMG_4301.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
i've had two Sportsters .. one a 48 (gone) and just got this 42. shoulders are tailored that way. i dig it! wish there wasn't soo much material at upper arms. overall f'n love the jacket! .. no more anxiety about warm weather! ; ) as it's a perfect summer coat. leather <looked> great on both i've handled tho' was a little stiff. i've also noticed that it's typical their panels are mis-matched. here's my 42 and a keen ad from 55' gushing about the Sportster being made from "Naugolite" !!! i like fit of yours very much, btw.

Yep, a lot of material in upper arms. The damn thing was made for riding, not like these johnny-come-lately's fashionable repros... ;)

Your 42 is in a better shape than mine. The label fell off mine, and I kept it. I would call mine semi-battered which is fine with me. Looks more badass, but not Hollywood yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB