Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting on red lipstick ;)

Naama

Practically Family
So, there are a few new threads about red lipstick. Now my question, how did you get people "used" to the fact that you wear it daily? At the moment I only wear my lipsitck when I go out at night/evening, but I really would like to wear it during daytime as well. But then again, I think it would be quite strange if I suddenly run around with red lipstic, since some people, like at university, never seen me with it and I'm already causing the most attention there..... So I'm not really sure about it [huh] What was the reaction like when you first started to wear bright red lipstick during the day?

Naama

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I've actually been wearing bright red lipstick since the 9th grade. I never thought twice about wearing it. At the time I most identified with "riot grrrl", which is like a style of feminist punk, so it was part of the look. I've always gotten a lot of compliments on it.

My mom is always nagging me to wear it actually, which I guess must be the ultimate compliment, because she's not always one to approve my need to stand out when it comes to fashion!

P

Paul

Naama said:
never seen me with it and I'm already causing the most attention there..... So I'm not really sure about it [huh] Naama

I take that to mean your style of dress! Why not just do it gradually say put on a stronger shade say red just before you on your way home then a less people will see you and it might look like you are going on somewhere from there.
or if you worn it more often them it sound odd but try and work out a few one liners in response like ... "oh do you not like this shade", of course you can never stop people talking behind your back, but I think that's there problem and not yours , says more about there personality than your I think.
I am all for wearing what you like, the alternative is we should all wear all the same outfit 1 for ladies and another for men .. Do not think so.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Paul said:
say put on a stronger shade say red just before you on your way home then a less people will see you and it might look like you are going on somewhere from there.

I think that's an excellent idea Paul! Applying it just before u leave so all can see, great idea so they get used to seeing you in it! They will assume you are going out somewhere so probably won't register in their mindset and then gradually put it on earlier in the day until the time comes where u are wearing it in!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I have always found that its the attitude you wear it with that is the deciding factor. If you find yourself faltering think Monroe, Tierney, and just go for it!!!!!!!:) :)

Don't worry about what other people think, if you get any comments other than people saying how great you look it's probably because they wish they had your confidence and wish they could do it too.

Watch a really great femme fatale film before you go out to get yourself into the mood......it's great to wear killer lipstick, and it's great to be different!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I wear red lip gloss, but not lipstick at work.

I would be really quite overdressed if I wore lipstick, as makeup on women isn't the standard where I work.

The red gloss sorta fits the same finishing things off bill, without looking overdone.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One very important thing is finding the right shade of red for you -- one that really suits you without looking too blaring or extreme or costumey. Don't be afraid to experiment until you find the one that works -- and when you find that one, don't be surprised if people compliment you on it!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I agree with Lizzie. There is a bright red I have and love, but I can only wear it for shows (it gets covered in red glitter). I found I always felt like a clown because of the pale skin, and my bright red decently full lips. I am no Angelina, but I am no Reba either. I traded that in for a darker cranberry color. Or an orange red that is less intense for casual wear.

LizzieMaine said:
One very important thing is finding the right shade of red for you -- one that really suits you without looking too blaring or extreme or costumey. Don't be afraid to experiment until you find the one that works -- and when you find that one, don't be surprised if people compliment you on it!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I can't remember when I started to wear red lipstick daily... oh yes, yes I do. I was a goth kid in high school and I didn't wear solid black lipstick. I always thought that looked cheesey and like kids were trying too hard to be goth so I would wear my lips red with black liner and it would bleed into one another. I really liked that look and still do. For those of you who saw the Craft with Fairuza Balk and Neve Campbell. It is how Fairuza's character (the main witch) wore her lipstick. I was always happy to say that I was doing it before the movie came out. :)

I stayed goth a few years after graduation, but it just became too hard for me to keep up with and I was really starting to embrace the vintage styles of my Grandma... from there I just kept the red lipstick.

So wearing vintage style red (only red) I would say since 2001. But wearing red at all (even with black liner) started back in 1994ish.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I actually embarked upon this, just the other day! I have worn red lippy to work twice now, and been complimented on it both times. I made sure to wear it with a complete "outfit", like one of my more vintagey ones. And always with something red to coordinate, my red snood or cardigan. That way it looks like you are wearing it to finish off your outfit rather than just wearing it out of the blue. My main problem is, after wearing it all day, as opposed to just a few hours in the evening, is that it starts to bleed all around my lips, and looks less-than-perfect at the end of the day. [huh]

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Agree 100%

AllaboutEve said:
I have always found that its the attitude you wear it with that is the deciding factor. If you find yourself faltering think Monroe, Tierney, and just go for it!!!!!!!:) :)

Don't worry about what other people think, if you get any comments other than people saying how great you look it's probably because they wish they had your confidence and wish they could do it too.

Watch a really great femme fatale film before you go out to get yourself into the mood......it's great to wear killer lipstick, and it's great to be different!

If you love the way you look, then put it on and show your confidence. I'm always surprised how many people remark in a positive way and even if they don't, they will get used to it.

Honey Doll

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Up until recently, my lipstick color of choice has been in the brown shades. But with really wanting to go vintage (for me it's all or nothing) , I've been wearing red pretty much whenever I go out of the house. I loved it at the get go. Actually, it was my husband and MK telling me, 'ah, no, wrong shade', but ten shades later, I'm looking good.:D lol

Naama

Practically Family
Thank's for all the tips!
At the moment I'm sick :( So I don't really feel (and look) very glamourus.... But as soon as I get better, I think I'll try to start with red lipgloss (thank's to Miss Neecerie ;) ) and then, if people get more used to it, maybe I'll be brave enough to wear the lipstick! (I'm such a chicken, I know)

Naama

Avalon

A-List Customer
I agree with Miss Neecerie! Start off wearing sheer red lipgloss, then work your way to lipstick. A lot of companies make tinted lip balm these days - that would be your best starting point, IMHO. :)

Miss Neecerie said:
I wear red lip gloss, but not lipstick at work.

I would be really quite overdressed if I wore lipstick, as makeup on women isn't the standard where I work.

The red gloss sorta fits the same finishing things off bill, without looking overdone.

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
I don't know how to help you here, because I went through a phase in middle school where I started to wear makeup regularly and I just didn't care what people thought. I guess it was my version of the creative expression of college, though I wasn't even close. I started to put eyeliner all over my face like a cat and I actually went out in public like that. I got a lot of looks and stares. Funny thing is I used to wonder why. And people would think I was 20 something just come home from a play haha. My mom said she bought coffee once and that's what the lady said.

Now that I AM almost 20, I have just been wearing makeup, especially red lipstick, for so long that it just doesn't bother me if people look at me funny. It's just how I wear my makeup and I have for so long...I've always gotten nice comments on it, even when I drew swords at the corners of my eyes when I was younger. haha.

Maybe I'm just strange though [huh]

Kiri

One of the Regulars
As far as I can remember, I just started wearing it. I've always dressed out of the ordinary though, so I don't think red lipstick was a big jump. :) I've actually only had one friend comment on it, and that was when she first met me.
Mostly I get compliments if anything. I never go without it. Haha. :D

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I totally understand your apprehension about wearing red lipstick, before I started to fully embrace the 40s/50s look I always thought I looked clownish and horrible in it (and most bright/dark lip colours really). I guess I have a few bits of advice:

Try out lip stains or tints if you find the look of red lipsticks too intense. They have lots of advantages over lipstick, and can normally be built up from a very sheer colour and a full-on brightness, which is good when you're experimenting. I swear by Bourjois Rouge Hi Tech in Rouge Futuriste, however this is a very orangey red that might not suit everyone. Also, it seems to have been discontinued where I am. However, I'm sure you could find a red tint/stain to suit somewhere.

Also, try and figure out what kind of red you want and will suit you- I have pale skin, black hair and blue eyes and I normally think that I look better in warmer, orangey reddish colours, though perhaps an expert might tell me otherwise!

Lastly, and most importantly, have the confidence to pull it off. I know it's difficult if/when you get stares/rude comments/jokes made, but if you can keep your head up high I really do think you can make anything work! I am well aware that much of the 40s-style makeup and clothing I wear is probably not suited to me in the eyes of so called 'experts', but what matters is that I look like I want to, and to hell with what anyone else thinks :D

nostalgic

New in Town
When I first started wearing vintage red lipstick to work, my assistant manager would constantly ask if my lipstick was bright enough and other catty comments like that. It was easy to disregard, when closer, more honest coworkers told me that with my hair/skin I could pull it off. Now, if I don't wear some shade of red, I not only scare myself walking past mirrors, but am so washed out that people think I'm ill or something. As a side note though, we have a dress code at work which is restricting to say the least. No skirts, nice blouses, and anything other than sneakers is just not worth the misery at the end of the day. Long story short: the vintage makeup without accompanying ensemble is a little random hahaha. I've noticed that when I do my hair I get a lot more comments (good ones) than if I'm just made up and not put together, if you know what I mean.
Naama, since you posted this a couple of months ago, I hope you've found your groove and are doing what you're comfortable with!

Lillemor

One Too Many
My first lipstick at 7-8 was a deep or bright Revlon red that was trendy in the 80s which I don't remember. My second lipstick was a wet'n'wild shock pink so I've had the reverse situation with trying to become accustomed to lighter colors and sheerer formulas. I only daily wore deep and bright lipstick from I was 14. At the time it didn't occur to me to try lighter shades and mattes were trendy in the 90s. I too went through a stage in high school with black liner with the lipstick, *ough!* not a look that really worked for me.

Some brown-reds that were trendy in the 90s often look redder on the lips than in the tube. Fx. Revlon's Rum Raisin, Wine With Everything, and Toast of New York all look redder than brown on me and very clear in shade. They're the lipsticks I reach for in serious meeting situations without completely compromising on a very important part of my image identity. I didn't like these light lipsticks in the 90s but I'm really liking the change towards the brighter now.

The result will depend on your natural lip color. Toast of New York fx. looks much browner on any other woman I've seen it on but my lips are naturally very pink so nearly all colors show up pinkish on me. The brownish shades show up light coral, peachy/coral, or pinky/coral on me which is a really nice surprise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points