Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steam press Vs Iron when starching shirts?

SirPandaEsq

New in Town
  1. Hey everyone, I have been using my 60 year old GE iron for my french cuff shirts and pants for years but have recently purchased a steam press. Typically when spray starching the cuffs and collar, I would spray starch, give it a little bit, then dry iron. Would I be able to bypass this with the press and just starch and press in one shot? Or should I first press my clothes, then focus on starching the cuffs? I've never used a press before but they seem vastly superior to ironing imho. Thanks!

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
I am not an expert with steam pressing but I would suppose that you should take off steam when starching. So apply starch, let it absorb a bit and press without steam.

Otherwise you might want to starch your shirts directly in the washing machine. You can buy liquid or powder starch to the purpose and it has only to be added in place of fabric softener.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112