Steampunk, Dieselpunk, etc.

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by MrBern, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Mr. 'H'

Mr. 'H' Call Me a Cab

^^ Interesting article and picture - when was it taken I wonder?

2. Story

Story I'll Lock Up

3. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

4. Story

Story I'll Lock Up

To paraphrase one of FL's luminaries, "a duplicate thread on FL? Who'd have thought!" ;)

5. MrBern

MrBern I'll Lock Up

6. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

7. reetpleat

reetpleat Call Me a Cab

Might be something akin to Brazil, the movie.

8. Pompidou

Pompidou One Too Many

Steampunk Kafe

I've been in the process of opening The Steampunk Kafé in Connecticut for a couple years now. I've got dreams of a cool themed cafe/nightclub hybrid where people can go to socialize, dance, etc, and not suffer the effects of alcohol, but instead caffeine. They won't be going home when they get sleepy and tired, that's for sure. That said, it's a pain in the butt trying to get a loan these days. I wish I had been inspired back in the day when banks would give anything to anyone, no questions asked. I've gone worker co-op, democratic, fair trade and organic, and because of that and my area, I've gotten a lot of perks, and a nonprofit lender, but I've still got a couple of months before I can go.

I only just got the loan equity a couple weeks ago. Working with the Rural Development Program - a subsection of the USDA - they'll be 80% of my collateral with a loan guarantee program, and thus I won't have to be a homeowner, which I'm not. My equipment and furnishings are collateral for the rest. Just gotta go to the state and get all my licenses and paperwork. It costs a lot for the right to pay the government taxes. I tell you, if someone said, "Can I please give you 20% of my yearly income?" I wouldn't say, "It'll cost you 265.00 for the right to give me your money." I'll let you give me your money for no upfront cost.

9. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Steampunk Kafé sounds like a great place. I can only imagine the décor! I hope it will be a sucess.:eusa_clap

10. KeyGrip

KeyGrip A-List Customer

When it opens I will go there.

11. Pompidou

Pompidou One Too Many

Today I spent a good 680 using Legalzoom to get me registered with all relevant government agencies as Steampunk Cafe LLC. I had to put in two backup names, so I also entered Steampunk Kafe LLC and Cafe Steampunk LLC. If those are taken I'll try Kafe Steampunk or brainstorm some more. Point is, it's all locked in now. I'm priceshopping accountants to put together a professional pro forma set of financial documents to go to the bank with, now that I've got equity and collateral. Then I'll have between 15,000 and 30,000 to get started, of which I only really need 12,000 to get something going, and I could do with 10,000 if I did my own graphic design work until money came in, amongst other things. So yeah, it's steamrolling now.

12. Warbaby

Warbaby One Too Many

A vintage espresso machine is a must-have for your new Steampunk Cafe. Nothing says Steampunk like one of these gems of Italian plumbing...

[​IMG]

13. Pompidou

Pompidou One Too Many

We think alike Warbaby. I emailed Abney Park's Robert, for the rights to play their music in my cafe. I've got a contract for 300 a year with BMI for general music rights for most mainstream artists, but while their concept of Airship Pirates are cool, internet music pirates aren't. They have info for booking concerts, but I won't have a stage or the equipment they demand - rightfully so. So, it'll have to wait till I succeed from my mall outlet to a standalone building where I can further explore the nightclub aspect of my cafe club hybrid concept I'm nurturing. We'll see. The idea of socializing, dancing and caffeine instead of alcohol seems like a winner to me.

14. anon`

anon` One Too Many

Excellent choice! I'd like to think that you won't have any trouble getting the green light here.

But why the heck do you have to be clear on the other side of the country? :(

15. Pompidou

Pompidou One Too Many

Robert replied to my email: just buy wholesale CDs and play the ones I sell and make a profit too. I'll sell their CDs. Good stuff.

16. Rola

Rola New in Town

17. Warbaby

Warbaby One Too Many

Way cool, Rola! Thanks for those links!

18. Warbaby

Warbaby One Too Many

The Ultimate Steampunk Typewriter

I found this 1867 Mailling-Hansen typewriter today on a German auction site. Alas, it sold for $130,000 - just a wee bit beyond my budget.

[​IMG]

19. Rola

Rola New in Town

20. Warbaby

Warbaby One Too Many