Steampunk?

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Captain O, May 11, 2017.

1. Captain O

Captain O One of the Regulars

I don't want to badmouth anyone's preferences, but I prefer the "original" style (1880's-1900's) to any funky "augmentation/alteration" of the garments.

I feel that this is a fashion fad that will quickly go the way of the Nehru Jacket and "acid glasses". This will last a maximum of three years and will become yesterday's news.

Cogs on a top hat? Really? o_O :eek: :rolleyes: :p

-30- likes this.
  2. -30-

-30- A-List Customer

Halloween has, over the years, . . .

Regards,
    J T

3. Upgrade

Upgrade One of the Regulars

Steampunk has been around since the 90s and it's unlikely to fade away as a subculture.

However, there's a broad mix in between period authenticity and "just glue some gears on it and call it steampunk".

casechopper and Edward like this.
  4. shadowrider

shadowrider One of the Regulars

Personally I've never liked steampunk, neither as a fiction genre or as a "fashion" subculture.
    I do however, have a pair of steampunk-ish sleeve garters, made of black latex, that I much prefer visually to traditional sleeve garters.

5. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

It's been going over here in the UK for at least 15 years and no sign of any let up, frequent Steampunk and Goth weekends at Whitby where Bram Stokers Dracula sought refuge after being shipwrecked assist in its longevity.......me I'm not a great fan but I do get to sell them quite a bit of stuff!

bn1966 and Captain O like this.
  6. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I'm too old for this but the kids I know would say that Steampunk is mostly corny and lacks vitality. I personally don't care for the aesthetic nor was I even aware that it still had a following.

Captain O likes this.
  7. Captain O

Captain O One of the Regulars

This is appropriate. The whole movement seems to mock the genesis of the Industrial Revolution (1760-1840). While the fascination with developing modern industrialism is fine, this movement appears to mimic the "snake oil" vendors of the period.

(Not very flattering).

-30- likes this.
  8. Edward

Edward Bartender

Each to their own; t's not my thing, but I find it all rather fun. I enjoy the creativity of reimagining how things would have looked had they appeared before their time. I can imagine this consciously skewed, fictionalised version of Victoriana also appeals rather more to those who would otherwise in the reality have been excluded from the highlife (basically anyone non-white, non-male, and non-rich). Of course there are corners of it where creativity is sorely lacking, but then I've also seen more then enough "vintage" events which fre no better. I've spent at least three decades of my life absorbed in one subculture or another..... pretty soon you realise little changes from one to the next bar the clothes.

El Marro and bn1966 like this.
  9. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

My sub-culture research has gone back into the 1800's...a direct lineage up until today is evident: 'The Liberty of Norton Folgate' by 'Madness' is worth a historical listen (have been down in old Londinium this week) :) Speaking to my Father (an Acton Ted) more links fall into place..my Grand-Father's (RIP) 1940's West London experiences..contribute further!!

Me: I've acquired a pocket watch & cane !!!!

Edward and -30- like this.
  10. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Steampunk was never my cup of tea, but I can see the allure of it.

bn1966 likes this.
  11. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Read quite a few Novels set around this period....I can see the appeal too :)

12. Grayland

Grayland One Too Many

While I had heard the term steampunk, I had to google it to see what it was. Reminds me of some of the costumes in the original Mad Max movie.

-30- likes this.
  13. shadowrider

shadowrider One of the Regulars

What about cyberpunk?
    Now, that I dig!

14. Upgrade

Upgrade One of the Regulars

If you want to get into specifics, Dieselpunk draws more inspiration from the Golden Era than Steampunk which is mainly Victorian.

bn1966 likes this.
  15. Aaronlowe

Aaronlowe One of the Regulars

+1