Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STEP BY STEP NAPTHA BATH

Hi guys... just finished (for the most part) my winter season hat naptha bath... thought I'd post some comments and have a question myself...

So I used 3 gallons of Crown white gas, bought at Walmart in the camping section... I wanna say I paid in the $13-14 range per gallon (3 cans). I don't recall the price exactly, but it was the same price as the Coleman Camp Gas, I do recall. I used the plastic tub I've used before with no problem. When I did it last year, I filtered the used gas through a coffee filter back into the cans, but I decided to just use new gas again, and used the old stuff to kill weeds in my driveway cracks (worked well!). I sprayed out the container with the garden hose but then noticed a dried powdery coating the inside of the container, below the 3 gallon mark. It's been a year, so I'm not sure what it might've been, remnants of stuff that came out of the hats last year? or maybe the container itself breaking down due to the gas? The container is plastic, not quite as stout as a pickle bucket, and I did leave the old gas in it for some time before I filtered it. In any case, I used a scouring brush and scrubbed it all out with water, and went along with my bath plans.

I bathed 4 hats this time, 3 lighter beige colors, and 1 green one. I used Lexol leather conditioner on all of the sweatbands, inside and out before the bath. I highly recommend doing this, I didn't have any issue with the sweatbands except what I'll detail later. Back to the bath. I think I determined this time to do the order of the least dirtiest first, as each subsequent one would be exposed to the previous one's dirt. And by dirt, I mean dust, etc from years packed away, these were all vintage lids won at auction. It did not occur to me until after to perhaps have done the darker green hat first or last due to color(it was in the middle, dirt-wise).

All of them came out relatively well, with a couple stain spots I used a toothbrush to scrub out. A couple did not, one that looks like it might've been an ink mark on the brim (maybe to indicate exact front across from the bow inside at the back). The gas scrub just kind of smeared it some. As well, there was a light mark of something on the ribbon of one hat, and the gas scrub got most of it out, but when it dried, there's a light stain of the area I scrubbed. So I need to try some method to get that out of the ribbon. Not sure about the brim mark, it's not hideously noticeable, so wouldn't be too bad If I left it alone. Anyone have any experience with ribbon stains?

Another thing, I did notice some shrinkage this time moreso than the last. In my container, the gas comes up to about the brim of the hat upside down. I turned the sweatbands out to spare them the dunking as much as possible, but I did press down a little bit to get the entire brim wet, so the sweatbands did catch some gas. So after, I noticed some shrinkage on at least two of them, not unbearably tight, or an entire size shrunk, but enough for me to put them on hat stretchers to hopefully stretch them back to size. Anyone else encounter shrinkage due to the gas bath?

The hats were dirtier than I initially thought, because there's a good amount of grime on the bottom of the container now. I'm debating washing one more hat, that's REALLY hammered, to see if I can get some of it's dirt out too. I'll decide this weekend.

Oh yeah, this year I just wore basic nitrile gloves that worked fine. My hands didn't spend much time in the gas, so no issues there.

Overall I'm pleased with the results, tho it seems to me the dirt was actually covering up a lot of wear on the felt... which I thought was weird... hadn't noted that last year on other hats.
I restore hats only using the naptha bath if absolutely required. And before it do it I tear the hat down so I am cleaning only the felt in the naptha. I have come to the position that using naptha is not always necessary or even the best way. If the hat is just dusty and shop worn I will bathe it in a low Ph soap, Orvis Paste. It is kinder and gentler than naptha, I can do it in the house as it leaves no mess or odour. Naptha is great if there are grease or hair product stains but sometimes it can take out too much including some dye and leave the felt with uneven colouration.

Also up in Canada I pay almost $30 for a gallon of naptha so it is an expensive product. I also use separate wash baths...one for light colours and a separate one for darks or very dirty felts.

Glad it worked out for you.

Timeras1

New in Town
I restore hats only using the naptha bath if absolutely required. And before it do it I tear the hat down so I am cleaning only the felt in the naptha. I have come to the position that using naptha is not always necessary or even the best way. If the hat is just dusty and shop worn I will bathe it in a low Ph soap, Orvis Paste. It is kinder and gentler than naptha, I can do it in the house as it leaves no mess or odour. Naptha is great if there are grease or hair product stains but sometimes it can take out too much including some dye and leave the felt with uneven colouration.

Also up in Canada I pay almost $30 for a gallon of naptha so it is an expensive product. I also use separate wash baths...one for light colours and a separate one for darks or very dirty felts.

Glad it worked out for you.
That's good advice, and I will take it to heart for that ribbon stain I've still got.... thanks!!

That's good advice, and I will take it to heart for that ribbon stain I've still got.... thanks!!
I have had good success with vintage ribbon by dyeing it. Sometimes the sun damage or stains or both are just too much and cannot be washed away. I either replace it with vintage ribbon or dye it. You have to be cautious as the ribbon can be either polyester or cotton/rayon depending on age and you have to use a RIT dye on poly and an Acid dye like jacquard on natural fibres. But a further caution; the ribbon can shrink if cotton and leave you short.

DonR

One of the Regulars
When using Orivs, do you mix it with water and the bathe the whole hat or just wipe it on? Do you rinse it with water afterward? Would this be the same with Woollite?

Is denatured alcohol just as bad as naptha for aggressiveness?

I have a Stetson Twenty-Five and a Knox Twenty-Five that I would like to clean. They both have a little staining, but the Stetson looks like a heavier stain in the front on the brim where it meets the crown. Not sure if it is a bad sweat stain or not. Before I do anything with either of these, I bought a practice hat to try on first.

I’ve been using just enough camp fuel to soak the hat, let sit for 10-15 minutes, scrub with a soft bristle brush and rinse with a bit more fuel (Crown from Wal-Mart). I’ll filter as dirt and debris dictate.

IMG_8463.jpeg

IMG_8464.png

Max @drmaxtejeda shared this ammonia solution of Ignacio’s for cleaning ribbons. I have yet to try it.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/ask-a-question-get-an-answer.41576/page-906#post-2462754

When using Orivs, do you mix it with water and the bathe the whole hat or just wipe it on? Do you rinse it with water afterward? Would this be the same with Woollite?

I have a Stetson Twenty-Five and a Knox Twenty-Five that I would like to clean. They both have a little staining, but the Stetson looks like a heavier stain in the front on the brim where it meets the crown. Not sure if it is a bad sweat stain or not. Before I do anything with either of these, I bought a practice hat to try on first.
The Orvis paste gets added to a big tub of water hot water. I have a soft brush with plastic bristles that does not raise the nap that I use to scrub the stains. I also let it soak a while. One good thing about the Orvis paste is that it rinses out really easily....just one rinse usually does it. I have heard reports that Woolite works as well. I have always used the Orvis as that is what my wife has for her work with wool and it has always been easier to steal it from her than buy my own.

I think the denatured alcohol is a bit kinder than the naptha but that is an uneducated opinion. I don't use it as it is expensive up here....more than double the price of naptha.

I’ve been using just enough camp fuel to soak the hat, let sit for 10-15 minutes, scrub with a soft bristle brush and rinse with a bit more fuel (Crown from Wal-Mart). I’ll filter as dirt and debris dictate.

View attachment 561548

View attachment 561549

Max @drmaxtejeda shared this ammonia solution of Ignacio’s for cleaning ribbons. I have yet to try it.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/ask-a-question-get-an-answer.41576/page-906#post-2462754
Now that is a line of laundry I can get excited about!!!!

MikePotts

Practically Family
I'm thinking of trying a white gas bath on a very stained Orvis suede jacket.....stop me before I kill again! :)
s-l64 - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600 - Copy.jpg
    s-l1600 - Copy.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner