Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson 100 Mint w/Tan Presentation Case

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Just got back from a trip antiquing with my wife. I go because, hey, you never know right! Well, why doesnt someone tell me about the Stetson 100 I found. Its mint, in a presentation case (Suitcase!) with the two keys and original paper and uncreased. I actually got to hold the 100 for the first time and you know what went thru my head? Akubra Federation. The darn thing was stiff as a board, BUT, had a soft feel. Does that make sense? I didnt buy it but offered 300. Its a size 7 1/4 but its fits my normal 7 3/8 very well. I think I have no business with it and would be afraid to wear it if I did buy it. So, can anyone out there fill me in. Its a mint Stetson 100 if there ever was one. Cant vouch for age, but thats why I'm here. Give me some feedback fella's!!!!!!!!!

Sounds sort of like this baaby right here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stetson-One-Hun...ryZ52370QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
This is probably what you were looking at. I have seen them go from 89 all the way to over 300. It just depends on size, age and condition. The one that went for over 300 had its original plastic coveirng and all the paperwork. The linked one has a bit less and will go for a bit less---I am guessing. ;)
Then you have the crazy people who want to sell you just the case for $450. :p http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Stetson...ryZ52370QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Regards to all,

J

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Is the hat worth 300.00 > Maybe . This hat sold for 100.00 back in the 1950's and 1960's .That was one weeks salary for many people . I have one and it's a great hat . I dont think a Stetson 1000X from today could match a 100X from years ago.

besdor said:
Is the hat worth 300.00 > Maybe . This hat sold for 100.00 back in the 1950's and 1960's .That was one weeks salary for many people . I have one and it's a great hat . I dont think a Stetson 1000X from today could match a 100X from years ago.

If it fits you and is in very good condition with all the pieces there then it is probably worth that. The presentation case HAS to have the plastic holder for the hat included though. The plastic holder is a must for the hat to be correctly oriented in the case and not bounce around and screw up the shape. It also has to have the keys. Deduct in the order of $12-$75 for the keys missing because that is what a locksmith will charge you to rekey them or to make keys for them. The plastic holder is irreplacable and you would either have to have one made or use some resaonable facsimile. I would deduct $100 if that was missing for sure.
The Stetson 100 of yesteryear is in fact far better constructed than the new Stetson 1000X of today. The felt is better and so is the fit and finish. The 100 is a great hat but I just wish they would have done it with a wider ribbon treatment. ;) If I found a suitable one in 7 5/8 though it would be mine faster than I could get the money out.

Regards to all,

J

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Thanks everyone. If it were your size JP I would gladly engineer a deal for you. What I know about the hat: It was the property of a Physician in the Wichita Ks. area. Im guessing it was a gift from a wealthy patron (survivor) or possibly a retirement gift??? Maybe, I guess. The hat has the plastic holder in the case and the crown has the original plastic cover over it. The crown is also open, which to me means the darn thing has never been worn. I really think when it was purchased, it was just put away for who knows what reason. I just dont think that I have any business with it. I've been known to mess one up in short order, particularly the silver belly color. Your right about the ribbon JP. It is very similar to an Open Road type. I heard from the owners of the shop and they said they would take 450.00 for the works. If anyone is interested, let me know and I will try and find their store name and or number. BUT, I would find it difficult to pay that much without seeing it in person. Anyway, I was able to hold a Stetson 100, plus put it on!!! Nice hat but I thought it would be of a MUCH softer texture. The quality feel is definately there, just not the softness I expected.

The 100 was more of a Western style hat. It was stiffer than you might expect from a regular dress hat but you have to remember that the vintage hats we come across now might have been worn more than once. ;) I have a brand new Royal Stetson in Brown that had an open crown when I got it. I have worn it a few times since but it is still pretty stiff. This is not as stiff as a cowboy hat but it just hasn't been used a lot to make the felt relax a bit. Putting the block I wanted into it was not exactly that easy either. You could not hand shape such a hat. It had to be exposed to steam to get the hat to conform to your wants. The same is true of a nearly new Whippet I have.
The whole manipulation of the hat: blocking it, wearing it in a bit and everyday "tossing around" makes a difference. That Open Road type ribbon would have to go if it was my 100 though. :p

Regards to all,

J

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Here's a pic of a Stetson 100 I picked up a while back. It didn't come with the suitcase type of hat box but the felt was in very good conditon. It is similar to a Cavanagh 100 I have in the sense that the felt is very very dense and also very soft to the touch and at the same time being kinda stiff. Adjusting for inflation, a hat costing $100 in 1950 would cost around $780. today. Also you would never get the quality of a 50s hat today.

DSCN0332.jpg

fedoralover

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
I have one.

I bought one that was dead stock. The case has all the parts with the keys and the hat was and is brand new still open crown. I think I paid a little over $300 for it. I remember JP told me to jump on it since it was in my size 7 3/8. :)

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
I believe this is a re-list of one that came-a-cropper last weekend. I was watching it to use as a bargaining point for the one which caused this to be posted in the first place. It had no takers at an opening of 170.00. Guess they must have gotten more realistic. The one in the shop IS a 7 1/4, Mint, Open Crown. Drool on that one!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
Pure beaver, I believe. It isn't made anymore.
Dman, This has come up in at least one other discussion. Is it your belief/understanding that a Stetson 100 was 100% beaver felt regardless of whether it was designated as "Clear Beaver" on the sweatband and crown?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Clear beaver was their $50 hat, the 100 was their $100 hat. The 100 was thinner, denser, smoother and stiffer than the 7x/clear beaver quality/ stetson 50. It is my understanding that they were both pure beaver, just that the 100 was finished better and had better quality felt.

The 100 is a better hat, but personally I prefer the characteristics of the 7x over it.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Carter -- I agree with Dinerman. The Stetson 100 was the top of the line, and it is pure beaver. At a time when a 7X Clear Beaver was being offered for $50 (mid-50's) -- the Stetson 100 sold for twice as much. Since the 7X Clear Beaver is pure beaver and is amazing in its own right -- I have wondered what made the Stetson 100 worth double the price. Certainly, the boffo presentation case had to factor in to some extent. I have also read here that the Stetson 100s were produced by Stetson's top hatters, so that may have also factored into the price. The felt on the Stetson 100 is truly beautiful to the touch. Like Dinerman, however, I think that I prefer the qualities of the 7X Clear Beaver.

Cheers,
JtL

Justdog

Practically Family
Stet 100 7x clear

jimmy the lid said:
Carter -- I agree with Dinerman. The Stetson 100 was the top of the line, and it is pure beaver. At a time when a 7X Clear Beaver was being offered for $50 (mid-50's) -- the Stetson 100 sold for twice as much. Since the 7X Clear Beaver is pure beaver and is amazing in its own right -- I have wondered what made the Stetson 100 worth double the price. Certainly, the boffo presentation case had to factor in to some extent. I have also read here that the Stetson 100s were produced by Stetson's top hatters, so that may have also factored into the price.

Cheers,
JtL

Yes the finish on the 100 was a factor as I just was informed of this in a phone call to a Texas hat store. Dinnerman was right on as my 7x is very soft and looks like underbelly beaver felt as it is Clear beaver. The finish on the 100 is a work of masterwork for sure as evident by the blocking and shaping. The 100 is stiffer and this is confirmed by other various posts here. Neither hat is pliable though. Just glad to put this issue hopefully to a conclusion of sorts:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points