Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson 20 in the rain

Bebop

Practically Family
When it rains, I grab my Adventurbilt or an Akubra but I would love to wear my favorite Stetson 20 in the rain. I have read about others wearing their vintage hats in the rain but I can't bring myself to do so for fear that it will loose it's incredibly soft and perfect fit. Am I being too careful?

Bebop said:
When it rains, I grab my Adventurbilt or an Akubra but I would love to wear my favorite Stetson 20 in the rain. I have read about others wearing their vintage hats in the rain but I can't bring myself to do so for fear that it will loose it's incredibly soft and perfect fit. Am I being too careful?

Yes. ;) :p
I find that the rain makes it even better. My Dobbs 20 has been out int he rain for hours at a time while I handed out flyers in the rain. It didn't shrink or lose its fit quality.
Give the flower some water and let it bloom. :D

Bebop

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Yes. ;) :p
I find that the rain makes it even better. My Dobbs 20 has been out int he rain for hours at a time while I handed out flyers in the rain. It didn't shrink or lose its fit quality.
Give the flower some water and let it bloom. :D

Just the answer I was hoping for. :)

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wouldn't buy a hat I couldn't wear in a down pour. It just doesn't seem natural[huh]

RBH

Bartender
DOUGLAS said:
I wouldn't buy a hat I couldn't wear in a down pour. It just doesn't seem natural[huh]
You are correct there Douglas!
I protect all my hats [new and vintage] with Rain and Stain Protector.
But I do not baby my hats when it comes to the weather,

thats what a hat is for...STYLE 1st and PROTECTION 2nd :D

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Don't ask me why, but I've always been hesitant about doing that with a new hat. Now, vintage, I have done that before. I guess I figure once a hat has made it fifty or sixty years, it has proved itself and I know it can handle the elements of life.

ScionPI2005 said:
Don't ask me why, but I've always been hesitant about doing that with a new hat. Now, vintage, I have done that before. I guess I figure once a hat has made it fifty or sixty years, it has proved itself and I know it can handle the elements of life.

It really depends on which new hat you are considering subjecting to rain.
Most off the rack stuff can't handle it very well so being hesitant is a good idea. Some custom hatters make their hats hurricane proof. Do a search here. You'll find them. ;)

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
It really depends on which new hat you are considering subjecting to rain.
Most off the rack stuff can't handle it very well so being hesitant is a good idea. Some custom hatters make their hats hurricane proof. Do a search here. You'll find them. ;)

Well, I do have a custom Art VS and so far, that one has only been caught in a light drizzle. I guess I consider that hat my baby, and like most peoples' babies, you don't want to subject them to things in life that will hurt them. I'm sure the VS could handle it, and one day it could get caught in a downpour, but its not something I'm waiting around for.

I'm sure everyone can think of a specific hat they really like to baby and protect...:rolleyes:

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
I know I don't need to do this, because the hats will stand up to almost anything, but I find that I do not wear my nicer and more expensive hats ("more expensive" in relative terms ... the best hat I have is a $150 Federation Deluxe) in the rain.
I do, however, have a "semi-vintage" Snowy River (older hat from eBay) that I beat the heck out of and it feels nicer now than when I recieved it. So I guess I need to let go a little lol

Bebop

Practically Family
I think my problem with vintage hats is that when I see how well cared for they are and how the fur, liner and sweat look like the day they were first purchased, I wonder how long these materials can last if I subject them to rain and even to wearing everyday. I suppose I just want to keep them looking like they were just made as long as possible. But then what is the point of having them. I guess I could put them behind glass and just look at them and some day hope to resell at a profit like some of my high end pipes? lol No way! :)

Bebop said:
I think my problem with vintage hats is that when I see how well cared for they are and how the fur, liner and sweat look like the day they were first purchased, I wonder how long these materials can last if I subject them to rain and even to wearing everyday. I suppose I just want to keep them looking like they were just made as long as possible. But then what is the point of having them. I guess I could put them behind glass and just look at them and some day hope to resell at a profit like some of my high end pipes? lol No way! :)

That is why you need a few dozen---so you can rotate the wear among them all. ;)

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wore one of my Stetson 20 Sovereign Ambassadors
in the rain for about a half hour yesterday. All wet.
Did not soak through to my bean.

Today the hat looks absolutely perfect. Even a little
dent that had come in as a result of stretching has
gone away.

I would go so far as to say that rain improves a
Stetson 20.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana