Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson 3X Longhair Dress hat - 1920s?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
I think I'm through buying hats - thought this would be worth sharing in its own thread. Only flaws are some wear to the reed casing and staple holes where the hat was tagged at the cleaners. Perfectly clean, not even the slightest moth nibble.

The fur is as soft and supple as anything I've touched - blows away the other 1920's longhairs I have. The $22.50 price tag was sort of startling, but this was definitely a high-end hat. Tough to tell what the original bash was, but I think it had a longer side-dent than shown below. Brim - 2 5/8", ribbon - 2 1/4", crown - 5 1/2", 7 1/4 (22 5/8")

Dress3xFront.jpg

Dress3xSide.jpg

Dress3xSideUnB.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Thats a beauty:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Great embossing and liner printing.
The body is almost a twin to my fuzzy Austrian.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
Thats a beauty:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Great embossing and liner printing.
The body is almost a twin to my fuzzy Austrian.

I like that Austrian a lot - have you posted better pics of it yet?

Here's the hat with a more modern bash:

Dress3xMe.jpg

Beautiful old velour and in super condition. Everything about it is super! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap These long hair felt finishes from the 30s and back are my favorites.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
mayserwegener said:
Beautiful old velour and in super condition. Everything about it is super! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks. The nice longhairs are definitely out there, as you and others have shown us - this is the 3rd black one I've found, but the first Stetson 3x longhair, and the first that fit.

A few more pics:

Dress3xBottom2.jpg

Dress3xTopUnB.jpg

Dress3xTop.jpg

ScottF said:
Thanks. The nice longhairs are definitely out there, as you and others have shown us - this is the 3rd black one I've found, but the first Stetson 3x longhair, and the first that fit.

A few more pics:

I only have one that fits which is my restored Hückel Sigma Seal Velour. It is also very similar to this Stetson 3x Velour (has the same exact bow treatment and similar ribbon width).

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
thumbs up

There have been a decent number of these long hairs posted on the forum.

They are all black, and look very similar- must have been a very popular style, (or so unpopular that they were stored in a massive time-capsule warehouse)

... in all the period photos I have seen, I don't recall ever noticing this style in large numbers...unless of course those hats with flat brims and homburg-like crowns (see world series photos on some thread here awhile ago) were in fact these, in which case, a lot of people wore these.

regardless, looks sharp :D really great find.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
cybergentleman said:
There have been a decent number of these long hairs posted on the forum.

They are all black, and look very similar- must have been a very popular style, (or so unpopular that they were stored in a massive time-capsule warehouse)

... in all the period photos I have seen, I don't recall ever noticing this style in large numbers...unless of course those hats with flat brims and homburg-like crowns (see world series photos on some thread here awhile ago) were in fact these, in which case, a lot of people wore these.

regardless, looks sharp :D really great find.

I don't think we have seen many 1912 hats posted here - certainly none of that light-colored fedora that so many are wearing in that pic, or the light-colored wide-ribbon porkpie.

And if you look at that 1912 pic, you'll see a very obvious black longhair toward the upper left, and a rather strange one toward the lower right.

Johann Hückel´s Söhne listing in the 1873 "Amtlicher Catalog der Ausstellung der im Reichsrathe vertretenen Koenigreiche und Laender Oesterreichs" mentions Velour hat (Velourshüte) production from hare (Haar) fur felt.

3894731128_97b686856f_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana