Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STETSON 7x CLEAR BEAVER QUALITY

Razzman

One Too Many
This is a recent acquisition. It's a Stetson 7X clear beaver quality hat. Western style thin ribbon. It has a 5" crown, and 2 3/4" brim with a mode edge. The color is a light tan. It's a beautiful hat very soft and pliable. It will take any pinch, bash or crease I try on it. Needs a good brushing. I have to stop buying hats. I'm trying to make space and sell a few, but then I get to browing OFAS and I see one or two that I just have to bid on.
I don't know much about this hat, I'd appreciate any info. Can anyone date it? I would like to change the ribbon too. Perhaps another thin ribbon or a ribbon smaller than 3/4". I'm not quite a do it yourself guy. I could probably sew it on, but I definately could not make the ribbon and bow. I think it would be too costly to send out for a new bow. Do you think a hatter would sell just the bow and ship it out to me? Here are a few pics.

a>

a>

a>

Last edited by a moderator:

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Beautiful Razzman:eusa_clap :eusa_clap That will look really good on you.

Razzman

One Too Many
I was hoping somebody could date this hat. I don't think it's very old. I'm guessing perhaps the Sixties???

Douglas, I hope you're right.

Thank you Deanglen, I appreciate your offer.

Thanks Indycop and Colby Jack

Dinerman the felt is fantastic, so smooth and soft and pliable. You can feel the quality in this hat.

RBH, The hat didn't arrive with the crease in the photos. I actually creased it. I would like to have a 1/4" ribbon with a small bow or something around 5/8" or less with a nice bow.

Razzman

One Too Many
No plastic Spencer, just the beautiful liner. I just noticed that the liner showing the cowboy using his hat to give his horse water and all the printing is actually monogrammed on the liner. That's pretty neat.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Okay. Mine is embroidered like that, too, but it has the plastic.
My reorder tag is all hand done in pencil. Yours?

Also interesting (at least to me) Is that your liner says "Stetson XXXXXXX Beaver" , while mine says "XXXXXXX Stetson".

Razzman

One Too Many
This has two reorder tags. One is done in pen or pencil, the other has printed numbers. This one still has a price tag from Nussbaum's Star Clothiers.
$50.00 when it was new. That makes me wonder just how old this hat really is? This has a mode-edge. The mode-edge is not made any longer is it?

carter

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
Wow Razz, that is a sweet hat, I like it just as it is.
It would be plumb sinfull to remove that great western looking ribbon!:D
It is not often you get a great looking fedora that has that real west feel to it.

Razz, I agree with RBH. That thin ribbon is a great look. A very nice hat as well. :D

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
cowboy watering horse from hat

I have been trying for sometime to find out when Stetson first used this logo. I have a old Stevens hat that uses this logo. The coyboy,horse,foreground are all the same. The only difference is the Stevens logo has a mountain on either side of the coyboy in the background and also has a artist signature but I can not make it out. Stevens boughtout Stetson in the early 1970's. I have always believed that Stetson took over this logo after Stevens bought them out. I went on-line to the United States Patent and Trademark Office to research this and here is what I found. Stetson applied for this trademark on 3-29-77 serial# 73120789. It was registered to them 4-1-80 Regs# 1132246. They show that it was cancelled 8-21-86. There were other forms of this logo used with a diffferent slogan THE LAST DROP FROM HIS STETSON
I believe my Stevens is decades older than these Stetsons but I can't prove it. My Stevens is marked STEVENS
hats
REGISTERED
Beaver Blend
On the sweat it is marked 3X Beaver

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Nice Stetson

I wouldn't do anything other than brushing this great hat! The ribbon is just perfect for this western style lid and it should be maintained as is. As for the "Mode edge" no none knows how or cannot do it anymore. It was made famous by Cavanaugh which are fantastic hats and is done during the felting process, not afterward. If I am wrong someone please correct me.

You have an excellent example of how good a Stetson was "way back then."

jeboat:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ