Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Austral....THE ORIGINAL

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
So here's the story......

Anyone that has looked for fedoras on Etsy more than likely has seen this picture:

SmallNutriaHat.jpg

This was originally listed for about $175 and the price steadily went down because the seller did not make the sale. I watched this hat for months and months and finally couldn't take it anymore. I just had to have it. The seller marked the auction with the title "1929 Child's Stetson Hat Stored in Dobbs Hatbox." What really interested me about the hat was the fact that the sweatband had the early "VVVVVV" stitching and that not only was it a Clear Nutria, it also had "The Fray" marked on the sweatband. Even though the seller's measurements read "20.5 circumference inside," I was still determined to buy it as a display piece.

I contacted the seller and worked a very reasonable price for the hat and shipping. She told me that the hat belonged to her mother and was given to her mother when she went to camp as a child. I was intrigued by the story and proceeded to ask some more questions. I wondered why her mother was given a mens hat, especially in the 1920's to wear at what probably was an all girls overnight camp. I also wondered how the seller got the date, "1929" for the auction.

Well it seems that the 1929 date was realized because the Dobbs box (1950's box at that) was marked 29. But upon further inspection on the auction photos, I saw that it was marked 29 under the "Sales number" section. This probably meant the salesmans number was "29." I then asked her if her grandfather had possibly given the hat to her mother to wear.

This is what she wrote:

"First of all the box did not come with the hat--not originally anyway. It was stored in there by my mom.
My great uncle (whose name and address at the time is on the bottom of the box) gave it to my mother (who is now 91 years old) when she was going away to summer camp.
I thought, when I listed it, that she told me she was 9 at the time, but later when we talked about it, she said that she was more like 12 or 13, which would've been around 1932. (I confess I didn't change the listing, since it was only a couple of years difference). So yes it is from the late '20s or so.
It could possibly be a men's hat; most likely they didn't make hats for girls then?
If I find out any more info, I'll let you know. Hope it arrives safe and sound and that it meets your expectations."

Based on that note, I figured that it most likely wasn't a childs hat to begin with, and her measurements might have been wrong. I then assumed that the only reason that a man would give up his Stetson hat in the 20's/30's would be because it was an older hat and he probably bought a new one. This made me think it was a bit older than the 20's. I originally thought it might be a wide brimmed early 20's fedora, but then I had suspicions that it was a western.

WELL.....Here's what it really is......

StetsonAustral.jpg

Its a very early Stetson Austral. Its not marked Austral anywhere, but all the dimensions and characteristics are that of an early Austral. I only had time this morning to snap one picture, but don't worry, MORE PICTURES ARE COMING LATER.

The crown measures 4.5 inches tall. The block is extremely square and straight. The brim measures 3 inches wide, not the 3.5 inches of the New Stetson Austral. This hat also has a very very very slight flange to the brim, not the very flat Campaign style brim as the New version. I know that a slightly flanged brim is a feature of the original Australs because its shown in this 1916 Stetson brochure:
Stetson1916springsummercatalog9.jpg

Oh by the way, the hat doesn't measure 20.5 inches.......IT MEASURES 22 INCHES and even has the original Size 7 sticker on the sweatband. (IT FITS ME!) The seller never mentioned that. I looked at the original reorder tag under the sweatband and what was really interesting is that this hat had a factory mistake originally. They put a reorder tag that read 6 7/8, but then put a second Size 7 size tag over the reorder label size. I've never seen that before.

Anyways, I'm so thrilled to have an early Stetson western style hat. It has some moth nibbles here and there, but the felt is very clean and extremely soft and finely finished. That wonderful early Stetson shellac kicked in as soon as I steamed the hat and now is much firmer.

MORE PICTURES TO COME LATER.....

.......IT MEASURES 22 INCHES and even has the original Size 7 sticker on the sweatband.

Damn. Damn fine hat, Josh, and damn for all the times a looked at that hat with the same thought and let it sit. Glad to know it went to a fine home and even better that it fits you.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Other than style, one of the coolest things about vintage is the story that sometimes goes with it. That is one of the things I loved about the biz...the story. Congrats Sir, great hat!!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Oh my that is a really great hat, you got a bargain there!

Excellent snag & great story Josh. Congrats!!!

Very cool. Exciting to have all that wind up and get an actual payoff!

THANK YOU very much everyone for the extremely kind words!! I'm still super excited from yesterday. I was SO careful when steaming the crown, not to fry the sweatband. Its still very pliable and I got the say, even 100 years later, "The Fray" sweat protection coating still works. Even when steaming, the sweatband coating wicked away all moisture on top.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Damn. Damn fine hat, Josh, and damn for all the times a looked at that hat with the same thought and let it sit. Glad to know it went to a fine home and even better that it fits you.

Thanks, Alan! I'm just glad one of us got it. This was one of the RARE times that a sizing issue worked in my favor. Usually, based on my luck, when the hat is labeled 7, its a small-ish 6 7/8. :D

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Other than style, one of the coolest things about vintage is the story that sometimes goes with it. That is one of the things I loved about the biz...the story. Congrats Sir, great hat!!

Thank you very much, Art!!! Its true, the story is really the best part. Sometimes I look at some of my old hats and just think to myself, "the person that originally bought this hat is probably long gone, but the hat still remains." I just think its really neat, that something as useful and personal as a mans hat, can remain so long after that person has passed. Its like the hat is a piece of that persons life that will live on forever as long as the hat remains. In the case of this Austral, I was so fortunate to hear all about the sellers family and a little history of where the hat has been all these years.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Congrats Josh! Very cool Stetson. I'd eyed that thing a few times myself. I'm glad you got it.

B

delectans

Call Me a Cab
What a splendid old Stetson, Josh, and a great tale to boot!

It was meant to be yours, but are you really sure it isn't a size 7-1/2? lol

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
Josh, great story on a great hat! Glad it ended up where it did, and glad you posted it here. As being still rather new to hats (less than a year collecting), I actually had no idea there WAS an "original" Austral, happy to hear of the heritage with that name (you may recall I have one of the current maker hats by that name). And I have to say, the crown of the new one looks very much like your original, glad to see they didn't change everything (yes, it's wider and flatter in brim).

Thanks for sharing this beauty and it's history with us!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Josh, your enthusiasm in tracking down special hats is commendable.

This one looks to be a special find, sitting there under everyone's nose for a long time. Enjoy!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
This is awesome. They ought to have kept the same specs for the modern Austral. That slight flange looks almost like it could be lightly snapped down if you so desire, no? An almost perfect western/urban hybrid, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112