Stetson Open Road Straw?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by RokkerMan, Nov 18, 2010.

1. RokkerMan

RokkerMan New in Town

I'd like to grab my first western straw and like the shape / brim width of the Open Road. Does anyone know if this hat is still in production OR know of a good place to get one at a fair price? Also, who's got one?

Thanks!
    Joe

2. RBH

RBH Bartender

3. The Good

The Good Call Me a Cab

I've seen many sites offer them, and they look cool. Are they shantung, Panama, or palm straw?

4. monbla256

monbla256 Call Me a Cab

I've a friend who works for Sheplers here in Texas and she said they are made of "Shantung" straw ( ie. Chinese paper) and blocked in China, then shipped over here and creased and finished in Garland, Texas. They do a VERY nice job and are worth every penny of the discounted price Shepler's and Cavenders sells 'em for. I'll probably get one for use at the stable for this coming summer :)

5. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

I have a shantung one, coated with some kind of waterproofing somethingorather. Not very impressed. Wore it once- the ribbon fell off. Turned out the whole thing was attached with nothing but hot glue from the factory.

6. Atticus Finch

Atticus Finch Call Me a Cab

This one just finished its third summer and it still looks as good as when I bought it. A great hat for OR lovers who live in a place where felt just isn't an option for summer wear.
    [​IMG]

AF

MarkStar and Tommy-VF51 like this.
  7. thunderw21

thunderw21 I'll Lock Up

I have one of these but mine is decent quality. Worn it on many occasions, it keeps going. The faux leather sweatband isn't the most comfortable but works.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. RBH

RBH Bartender

Looks good Thunder... did you keep the top crease and 'punch' out some of the side crease?
    Can you show use a little more in a photo?

9. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine My Mail is Forwarded Here

My .o2

I try to stay away from shantung, it ain't much cooler than felt, these Miller Panama Straw Hats or vintage like this Vintage Panama OR are your best bets... or the esteemed Mr. Panama Bob. I feel sure he could help.

10. RokkerMan

RokkerMan New in Town

johnnycanuck likes this.
  11. I purchased one a couple of years ago. Fits fine, but I noticed that the crown is a bit taller than my felt ORs.

12. thunderw21

thunderw21 I'll Lock Up

I popped out the side dents and put in front dents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

I had one for nearly 20 years as my standard summer straw. Great hat, but since I bought it in the 80s, I can't comment on the quality of current ones.

14. Duper

Duper Practically Family

Seems likeThunderw21 achieved a look I like for his Open Road straw by giving it a bit of a down turn brim and changing to front dents only. Is this easy to do with a modern Stetson shantung hat? If so I might place an order. I do not own any shantung hats presently so it is peaking my curiosity. I think I handled a Stetson Open Road straw once and it seemed very, very stiff to me.

15. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine My Mail is Forwarded Here

16. Duper

Duper Practically Family

Thanks for the pointers Rick. Funny thing today when I was talking to Delmonicos (aka Noggintops) asking about the Stetson Open Road straw I honestly felt the salesperson was trying to steer me away from that choice. She prefered the Stetson Retro or the Scala C-crown models. I am going to have a browse of Miller's selections.

Much appreciated,,,Mike

17. Benzadmiral

Benzadmiral Call Me a Cab

That vented one from Quality Hats looks good, but the pic seems distorted. The crown height is listed as 4", but that looks more like 6"!

Maybe it's time for me to make a pilgrimage down to Meyer's in person. . . .

18. Benzadmiral

Benzadmiral Call Me a Cab

Bad news, guys,

I wrote to Adam at Quality Hats about the vented OR, and just heard back:

"Hello Paul,
    "Unfortunately the hat has been discontinued by Stetson. I tried to buy some yesterday and they will not make the hat. Was told the hat reps had no interest from the retailers. Sorry. We appreciate your business.

"Sincerely,
    "Adam Kolojay"

Which I sort of expected. It seems to be the story of my hat-wearing life: Whatever I like just got discontinued.

19. kidbri

kidbri New in Town

Actually, I've been seeing the vented ones all over the place! Just google them...I think they brought them back. i I got my first shantung this summer...I LOVE it...already beat the hell out of it..and like it looking that way!