Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Roadster

maxhogan

New in Town

Hello everyone,
Does anyone have any experience with the Stetson Roadster? I have tried the LL Bean Stetson and the Akubra Bushman, but the Field & Stream seemed a little small brim wise and the Bushman too large. Now I am looking at the Roadster. Any opinions, pictres, advice are greatly welcomed. Thank you in advance,
Jim

53Effie

A-List Customer
I recently purchased one from Delmonico's. Sizes available were somewhat limited. It is a decent hat. It seems a little stiff to me, but maybe it will soften with age. I am just starting to wear fedoras and it seemed like a good starting place stylewise. I live in a semi-rural community and you see lots of western hats so it kinda fits in. Delmonicos had them on sale for 152.50 I think. I got the walnut color which goes well with my leather jackets.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Roadster is a discontinued model. My thoughts- either a vintage OR or clone (you will see them w/ brim widths from 2" to 3" & everywhere in between) and/or (who am I kidding? AND) an Akubra Campdraft.

Dobb

Familiar Face
The New Stetson Roadster

Although I am focused on the Whippet, the Roadster is also getting my attention. Described as a fedora with a western flare, I like it. Does anyone have a Roadster?

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
I'm not into the modern Stetsons. I didn't believe all the disgruntled hype on here about the modern Stetsons and went out recently and bought a couple. I have since sold them on Ebay and am back to focusing on vintage fedoras. I have not noticed the Roadster and will have to go take a look. I was just really disappointed in the quality of the felt in the modern Stetsons.

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
OK, I'm back. I made a quick trip to Google and checked the hat out. I like the style. I also like that old style sloppy kinda crease instead of the perfectly molded crease of the modern whippet. I'm not sold on the hat band though. I like the thin ribbon O.R. look or the 3/4" Playboy ribbon style. All in all though I think you'd probably be happy with it as long as you don't compare it to a true vintage Stetson.

Last edited:

tealseal

A-List Customer
I've handled one in walnut. It's a fairly nice hat, but lacking significantly in softness when compared to other modern stetson fedoras such as the Temple or Saxon. I almost bought it, but went for an OR instead as a hat that would give me a Western-Fedora bridge look.

jbucklin

Practically Family
I live approximately three miles from the Hatco Outlet, which sits right next door to the factory where Stestons are made. I bought several fur-felt Stetson fedoras over a period of time and always came to their defense when they were criticized. I have sold all of them. Why? Because I finally learned more about hats in general. The more I learned, the more disatisfied with my modern Stetsons I became. I ended up losing a lot of money by having to practically give them away when selling them. Save your money and start with Akubra---much better hats all the way around.

Dobb

Familiar Face
One of the reasons I am considering a new Stetson is the fact that I can get something I like in my 71/2 size. The Roadster is very much like the Royal Stetson Open Road style that I just picked up on ebay. That hat is perfect on me, but needs repair, and will be on it's way to Chicago soon for repair. The sloppy crease look, that Terry mentioned, is a nice feature of the Roadster, as well as the color. Some one here mentioned that the hat is discontinued. I hope that is not the case. They show the hat as available on the Village hat shop site for 155.00.

Dobb

Familiar Face
I live approximately three miles from the Hatco Outlet, which sits right next door to the factory where Stestons are made. I bought several fur-felt Stetson fedoras over a period of time and always came to their defense when they were criticized. I have sold all of them. Why? Because I finally learned more about hats in general. The more I learned, the more disatisfied with my modern Stetsons I became. I ended up losing a lot of money by having to practically give them away when selling them. Save your money and start with Akubra---much better hats all the way around.
What are the shortcomings of the new Stetson hats?

Dobb

Familiar Face
I just checked out the Village hat shop site and there is no mention that the Roadster is discontinued.

jbucklin

Practically Family
What are the shortcomings of the new Stetson hats?

Mainly the felt quality. They just don't hold their shape over time. Also, the pre-creased crowns. I finally grew weary of the generic teardrop crease that many of their hats have. Their center-dent creased hats have an intolerable amount of taper and don't take too well to reshaping due to the felt quality being less than desirable. Also, besides the discontued Nostalgia, all of them have very short crowns.

tealseal

A-List Customer
Mainly the felt quality. They just don't hold their shape over time. Also, the pre-creased crowns. I finally grew weary of the generic teardrop crease that many of their hats have. Their center-dent creased hats have an intolerable amount of taper and don't take too well to reshaping due to the felt quality being less than desirable. Also, besides the discontued Nostalgia, all of them have very short crowns.
I agree and I disagree. I have two modern Stetsons, and have had both of them reshaped. My Saxon was reblocked successfully into a diamond, and my new Open Road had the cattleman crease punched out a bit so It wouldn't hit my head anymore.
However, the reason I had to have my Saxon reblocked was due to the hat exhibiting a ludicrous amount of taper due to my wearing it in the elements. This is certainly the weakness of the modern Stetson felt; it doesn't hold up well to rain as well as an Akubra. After the reshaping, I applied a layer of Scout Felt Hat Protector and I haven't noticed a repetition of the tapering yet.
They do have short crowns, and that's a bummer. Last time I was at Salamagundi in Boston, they had some Nostalgias in stock.
If you like the shape of a Stetson, grab one but you'll have to do this extra step of maintenance (about two minutes). On the other hand, Akubras don't need it and the open crown ones are a LOT of fun to bash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points