Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STETSON Royal Deluxe Fedora Western Neutral Beige 1950 size 7 3/8 W/Box

Bambolina

New in Town
Hi, I'm selling my beautiful Stetson hat and would like some suggestions and feedback about my price and information. What do you guys think and I hope that I have all the information correct.

I'm pretty sure I have a Vintage STETSON Royal Deluxe Fedora Western Neutral Beige 1950 size 7 3/8 W/Box. From what I can find, $500 is a fair price. Does anyone have any extra information about this one? The band has a triple bar look to it instead of a flat ribbon. It has not been cleaned, since it's an old vintage Stetson, I thought it would be best to keep it all original.

Here's a link for the auction and pics:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ST...750465?hash=item3b1b292001:g:kPsAAOSwsj5blBaA

Attachments

• IMG-2745.JPG
    IMG-2745.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 701
  • IMG-2746.JPG
    IMG-2746.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 697
  • IMG-2747.JPG
    IMG-2747.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 656
  • IMG-2748.JPG
    IMG-2748.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 709
  • IMG-2749.JPG
    IMG-2749.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 648
  • IMG-2751.JPG
    IMG-2751.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 621
  • IMG-2752.JPG
    IMG-2752.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 604
  • IMG-2753.JPG
    IMG-2753.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 617
  • IMG-2754.JPG
    IMG-2754.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 616
  • IMG-2755.JPG
    IMG-2755.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 619
Hi, I'm selling my beautiful Stetson hat and would like some suggestions and feedback about my price and information. What do you guys think and I hope that I have all the information correct.

I'm pretty sure I have a Vintage STETSON Royal Deluxe Fedora Western Neutral Beige 1950 size 7 3/8 W/Box. From what I can find, $500 is a fair price. Does anyone have any extra information about this one? The band has a triple bar look to it instead of a flat ribbon. It has not been cleaned, since it's an old vintage Stetson, I thought it would be best to keep it all original.

Here's a link for the auction and pics:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ST...750465?hash=item3b1b292001:g:kPsAAOSwsj5blBaA

I keep a pretty close eye on the larger sized vintage hats (yours is on the small end of the large sizes) and I think you might be optimistic on your pricing. In the end, it’s worth whatever someone will pay for it and it’s not as if they can find another just anywhere.

The liner and sweat also makes me curious. jlee562 knows a lot more about them than I do but I echo his concerns.

Shipping of over $40 is also going to be a problem. If you let the Ebay machine set it for you, they go way to high. Any hat in it's box can be shipped across the United States for less than $20. International shipping can go that high, but never list that as your shipping cost on an auction. Nice hat, but a pie in the sky price.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
It's a nice looking hat but not a $500 hat. I'm with jlee on this one. timothiescloset isn't the standard for pricing. He's laughably overpriced on his stuff, if he was the basis for your pricing.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you are looking on eBay for pricing make sure you only look at completed sales. Anybody can ask any amount for an item but that does not mean someone will pay said amount. It all comes down to how much you want to sell the hat. If it's truly a valuable hat put an opening bid of $50 and let the bidders tell you how much it is worth. Because in reality it's only worth what someone will pay. But you do have a nice hat.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
The forum can get a bit picky (and rightfully so) when potential sellers ask for information on pricing, because the guys here are all potential buyers.

Here's some info I've gleaned that may apply to your hat. It has an early 50s crest on the leather sweat, and a mid-50s crest and plastic liner. The size tag is also probably at least mid-50s, it's hard for me to say. The Sovereign model at this time cost $20 and often the hat accessories overlapped. Hence the different crests and Sovereign and Twenty nomenclatures. There are quite a few threads with this info here on the forum.

For reference on pricing, the above guys have a great point: an advanced search on eBay will give you completed listings. I have never seen one sell for $500, but I suppose it is in theory possible.

I also agree with the above suggestion: set it at $50 and see what the market brings. It will catch a few eyes and bids.

Daniel

PS It is not a Royal DeLuxe but a Sovereign Twenty.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I mean, I've seen a larger Stetson 100 with full travel case AND inserts sell for less than $500.

This is a nice hat, but it's not that nice.

Could you find the right buyer at $500? Heck, maybe. Do you offer international shipping to Japan? :D

I just know Timothieshats sit there for a while at those prices, and he pays to advertise those listings too.

Here's some info I've gleaned that may apply to your hat. It has an early 50s crest on the leather sweat, and a mid-50s crest and plastic liner. The size tag is also probably at least mid-50s, it's hard for me to say. The Sovereign model at this time cost $20 and often the hat accessories overlapped. Hence the different crests and Sovereign and Twenty nomenclatures. There are quite a few threads with this info here on the forum.

Agreed. A 1950's Western dress Sovereign Twenty with a bound edge brim & a 3-cord ribbon blocked on a #52 in the original box is rare to find today. I didn't look but there probably isn't another one featured in the thread you linked.

Would like to see the tags & other markings.

Agreed. A 1950's Western dress Sovereign Twenty with a bound edge brim & a 3-cord ribbon blocked on a #52 in the original box is rare to find today. I didn't look but there probably isn't another one featured in the thread you linked.

I own a Sovereign twenty mode edge and I researched the entire thread after buying it and there's not another hat similar to this one in it. If you look through some of the Miller-Stockman threads a hat similar to this could probably be found.

I think it's just one of those rare Stetsons nobody knows anything about because it hasn't been seen here before. As to value, who knows, hats do strange things in the marketplace. I only know what I was willing to offer for it before I ended up buying the 7x.

I own a Sovereign twenty mode edge and I researched the entire thread after buying it and there's not another hat similar to this one in it. If you look through some of the Miller-Stockman threads a hat similar to this could probably be found.

I think it's just one of those rare Stetsons nobody knows anything about because it hasn't been seen here before. As to value, who knows, hats do strange things in the marketplace. I only know what I was willing to offer for it before I ended up buying the 7x.
I never thought of Miller-Stockman having a Twenty in this style, but maybe. Contributing to it's rarity by the 1950's I would suspect that sales of the more common OR satiated the demand for the style perhaps.

I never said it was worth $500 but I don't understand the attacks on the OP & comparisons to Timothy's pricing. Timothiescloset does what he does & most of us on FL pay little attention.

I only wish the OP's hat was my size. And after the warm reception he received I doubt he will be back.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I never thought of Miller-Stockman having a Twenty in this style, but maybe. Contributing to it's rarity by the 1950's I would suspect that sales of the more common OR satiated the demand for the style perhaps.

I never said it was worth $500 but I don't understand the attacks on the OP & comparisons to Timothy's pricing. Timothiescloset does what he does & most of us on FL pay little attention.

I only wish the OP's hat was my size. And after the warm reception he received I doubt he will be back.
Based on the OP’s other items for sale on eBay I would think the seller is just that. An eBay seller who was looking for information to help sell the hat for the most possible - which is fine. Or an eBay seller wanting to get more potential buyers to look at the hat - which is also fine. But most likely not a hat person. I think the OP received honest answers and opinions to the questions asked.

Based on the OP’s other items for sale on eBay I would think the seller is just that. An eBay seller who was looking for information to help sale the hat for the most possible - which is fine. Or an eBay seller wanting to get more potential buyers to look at the hat - which is also fine. But most likely not a hat person. I think the OP received honest answers and opinions to the questions asked.
I didn't look at the OP's eBay sales. I did look at his FL profile. The fact he has been a member for a few months is an indication to me that he just didn't join because he had a hat to sell. And the fact that the OP is 84 yrs old is an indicator to me that perhaps this is his hat & that he may very well be the original owner. Perhaps he owns other hats as well. Unfortunately we may never get to know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points