Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Sweat Stamps/ LOT XXXX

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
1x Nutria
LOT 4620
bcfc370fc7ec86ded50becfd54468f08.jpg
4564f79058bc7e691f59b008c2c75e95.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Reviving this thread since I got a hat with a lot number on it, as well as a date stamp.
Stratoliner from Nov, 1941. Lot 7710 also from Eakle as some of the ones above.

Maybe this will help with the timeline.

View attachment 187306

View attachment 187309

View attachment 187310
Nice info.
Be very careful flipping the sweatband on that one. Sometimes they look and act fine until it’s too late. Especially the old non-reeded ones. No one has the machine to re-sew them. As far as i know.
One heck of a hat!!
B

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
Nice info.
Be very careful flipping the sweatband on that one. Sometimes they look and act fine until it’s too late. Especially the old non-reeded ones. No one has the machine to re-sew them. As far as i know.
One heck of a hat!!
B

Thanks for that info. I put a little leather conditioner on it while I had it flipped, so I'll leave it alone now...

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for re-upping this thread Joe, @Blare. That is a fine hat that does favor the Strat, OR models. The liner throws me as i don’t recall seeing that one in old Stetsons but that’s just me. Others can voice opinions on that.
I wish more attention would be paid to Lot #s. I think there is some continuity in the numbers, production wise and when combined with the other age indicators helps date hats better.
The only down side is the oftentimes frail nature of the sweatbands in the really old Stetsons and the resultant heartache of popping stitches and splitting leather.
The small mirror is a great tool for looking. Standing on your head to see them....not so much. Lol
Pre-treatment is a wise precaution no matter the look of the condition.
Once fooled...never goes away says my Boss Clear Nutria...sigh!!
Great acquisition!
B

Thanks for re-upping this thread Joe, @Blare.
The small mirror is a great tool for looking. Standing on your head to see them....not so much. Lol
Great acquisition!
B
Good advice, Moon also suggested a dental mirror specifically.....which DO work well. I have an early Stetson St Regis that says the same thing.......sigh and all....with perhaps a few tears of mine that fell on it (after the cursing of course).:eek::rolleyes::(:(:(:(;)

Thanks for re-upping this thread Joe, @Blare. That is a fine hat that does favor the Strat, OR models. The liner throws me as i don’t recall seeing that one in old Stetsons but that’s just me. Others can voice opinions on that.
I wish more attention would be paid to Lot #s. I think there is some continuity in the numbers, production wise and when combined with the other age indicators helps date hats better.
The only down side is the oftentimes frail nature of the sweatbands in the really old Stetsons and the resultant heartache of popping stitches and splitting leather.
Great acquisition!
B
Thanks Bowen. I can definitely understand the heartbreak of ruining a beautiful old sweat.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
beautiful piece

the tip crest and what looks to be a foil or gold over card stock size tag put this somewhere in late 30s to early 40s in my estimation ... more likely the latter

rare to see a thin ribbon in that time frame but they were made

I do not believe that tip crest was used at all past the very early 40s ... if that is the original liner ... looks to be factory sewn

is that a gold over card stock size tag or just dirty manilla card stock ?

Last edited:
beautiful piece

the tip crest and what looks to be a foil or gold over card stock size tag put this somewhere in late 30s early 40s in my estimation

rare to see a thin ribbon in that time frame but they were made

I do not believe that tip crest was used at all past the very early 40s ... if that is the original liner ... looks to be factory sewn

is that a gold over card stock size tag or just dirty manilla card stock ?
Thanks Anthony. Appears to be gold and black on the size tag... not as shiny a gold as the liner tip but still gold.

J Williams

Practically Family
Boss Raw Edge Clear Nutria

This one might be pointless to post but I felt it couldn't hurt - I don't have photoshop or any software to try and enhance the numbers but maybe some keen eyes can make out more than I can. There was another number stamped on the hat I originally thought to be the Lot # so I'm not sure what that one is.

Looks like Lot 6XX8 ??

IMG_2374.jpeg
IMG_2382.jpeg
IMG_2400.jpeg
IMG_2401.jpeg

RossRYoung

Practically Family
I’ve been lurking this thread a lot lately, and I’d like to officially change my guess on my No. 1 Quality based on the help of @BobHufford fabulous circa 1929 Select Quality below:
Circa 1929 Stetson Select Quality "Tropic Weight".
98d81066c73966beaed121338b5b2d7c.heic

be88a79389372bc066819fcbd232de9c.heic

stetson_tropic_weight_1929_ad_detail-jpg.123826

stetson_tropic_weight_1929_ad_newspaper-jpg.123827

Help me if I’m wrong, but the ‘Tropic Weight’ (killer name, btw) Lot # looks to be 6342.

Based on the taped rear seam theory ending in the 20’s, and also the Lot XXXX theory of being consecutive, I was confused by initial guess on my No. 1 being #6873 and also having to the taped rear seam (below):
Lot 6873 I believe. No. 1 quality
View attachment 228573

After coming across the 5X below with the more clear #6876 Lot, this hat is firmly placed in the early 30’s (NRA tag) and has the sewn rear seam.
Therefor, to keep everything straight in our perfectly ordered Stetson production timeline, I’d like to change my No. 1 to Lot # 6373 instead of 6873.

I’ve been lurking this thread a lot lately, and I’d like to officially change my guess on my No. 1 Quality based on the help of @BobHufford fabulous circa 1929 Select Quality below:

Help me if I’m wrong, but the ‘Tropic Weight’ (killer name, btw) Lot # looks to be 6342.

Based on the taped rear seam theory ending in the 20’s, and also the Lot XXXX theory of being consecutive, I was confused by initial guess on my No. 1 being #6873 and also having to the taped rear seam (below):

After coming across the 5X below with the more clear #6876 Lot, this hat is firmly placed in the early 30’s (NRA tag) and has the sewn rear seam.

Therefor, to keep everything straight in our perfectly ordered Stetson production timeline, I’d like to change my No. 1 to Lot # 6373 instead of 6873.

I am still not sure of the consecutive lot number thing (but it sounds good)...or the real date of sewn sweats........I have a later lot number on a "Standard Quality" with the 30's logo that has a taped seam as does my clearly mid to late 30's :"THE Royal Stetson" Derby that also has the taped seam..........so......

Of course some of these could be refurbished with the sweats removed and replaced. In your example photo that reed looks MUCH newer that the sweat or stamp or would indicated.............could have been sewn then.

As we know the old reeds can wear out fast and an otherwise good sweat tear away from the reed (or hat).........

Last edited:

RossRYoung

Practically Family
I saw Alan post a beautiful featherweight Lot5XXX and had it pegged @ circa 1930. Here is my latest No. 1 LOT, I was hoping this and my previous listed No. 1 might have made the 20s cut. All is well with 30s though, they both fit me perfectly:

Lot 63?7
89E4A8E4-4A06-4AC1-B383-318740950C20.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff