Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Sweat Stamps/ LOT XXXX

Excellent Victor.

Splintercellsz, Don't risk the sweatband stitching... but if there is any flexibility in the sweat and your wrists you can use a small mirror to see the number and take a photo.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I tried. And popped some more stitches in the process, but it needs to be sent to a hatter anyway, as the sweat was trying to come out of the hat on a side.

I can see a number that matches a number on the hat (matching sweat number & hat number)

Which is here, but I doubt it is the number you are specifying.

The number is B55419
02510.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, the number that matches the duplication label is a difference stamp. The Lot Stamp is larger and will say LOT XXXX - four digits. Don't sweat it. Take care of that nice old hat.

Stop messing with my ordered universe, Dinerman!

I assume Stetson was making their sweatbands at this time... perhaps GW Alexander & Co. outsourced their sweats from their neighbor?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Where does this hat fit within the Lot stamp timeline?

From my collection, a little later than this 1X Nutria with Fray sweatband (3057)

fray1.jpg

and a little earlier than this Real Nutria Fur western (4427)

nutriafur10.jpg

which I am guessing falls in the first half of the 1920s.

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
That's REALLY interesting, Alan. Thanks so much for this research! I hope that one day, sitting in an old pile of books in an antique store, is an old Stetson ledger with all the lot numbers and what hats were produced within those lots. That would be the holy grail of Stetson ledgers for sure!

*and that was my 3000 post!

I'm happy to have your 3000th post in this thread, Josh.

Wouldn't it would be great to have more hats represented with their sweat LOT numbers? I spent some time yesterday going through the older posts in the pre 1940s Stetson Western thread. There are so many fantastic hats posted there - I would love to have some of these represented.

I will be taking a week off during the holidays and I hope to find time to make a visual timeline of the hats we have posted. If we can add a bunch more and are lucky enough to find a few with known date provenance this could become a useful addition to the tools we have for dating old Stetson styles and marks.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I'm happy to have your 3000th post in this thread, Josh.

Thanks so much! :yo:

Wouldn't it would be great to have more hats represented with their sweat LOT numbers? I spent some time yesterday going through the older posts in the pre 1940s Stetson Western thread. There are so many fantastic hats posted there - I would love to have some of these represented.

I will be taking a week off during the holidays and I hope to find time to make a visual timeline of the hats we have posted. If we can add a bunch more and are lucky enough to find a few with known date provenance this could become a useful addition to the tools we have for dating old Stetson styles and marks.

I am really looking forward to your visual timeline! I think it will be interesting to see the variations in hat styles and trimmings through a span of time. It will be interesting to see how many features stayed the same as well.

I have looked through the Pre-1940's Stetson Western Thread in its entirety many times and I am always amazed at the incredible hats that have been posted. Unfortunately a similar problem exists in that thread as many others that I have gone through. In many of the early posts, the pictures are mostly of the hat and the liner, but not the reorder tags under the sweatband and possible markings under the sweatband. When I was looking for Hat Corp of America block numbers and Stetson block numbers, there were many hats I wanted to record in my record but unfortunately there were just no pictures of the re-order tags for many in the thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ