Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Temple

ufguy11

One of the Regulars
Recently I've been looking at different Stetson Temples at different stores. I've heard plenty of times on the lounge that new stetsons don't do good in rain. If I wanted to get a new black Stetson Temple, would I have trouble with it?

Thanks,
J.J.

RBH

Bartender
Hello,

Friend if you dont feel you can go custom with a hat by Steve or Art. Check out some of the sites that sell Akubra or even the Miller Hats site. I think they would have hats that are just as good or better for the money.
Also OFAS may have a vintage in just your price range...
Good luck.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
I'll add my Temple experience for your consideration.

It tapered badly within a month so that it literally rounded down to my head. Warm water and a skilled hand helped give it a few more months of respectability, but it began to pull back in again.
By this time the ribbon was actually loose on the hat with sections of it puckered away from the body.
This hat was not worn in a downpour, just a few humid weeks in October.
You'd have thought I let it sit for a week in a car in August, soaking wet.

A friend purchased one a few weeks later, not knowing I was having these issues, and side by side they looked like two completely different styles and sizes, though they were the same hat only one size in difference.
The sweatband was never very comfortable, either.

I'd avoid this hat.

There are much better options.

RBH, quick question... OFAS?

Dick Tracy

New in Town
I agree with Spatterdash and RBH avoid the new Stetsons. I own several of them including the temple, which I always wanted--what a waste. Go with the Akubra Federation. It's cheaper, better quality, and better looking. It seems like anything is better than a new stetson.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Agreed, for the most part

Stetsons aren't complete trash. I've had worse. But I've mostly had better. I recommend any of the Akubra's of fedora styles. Better hats, better prices. I also strongly suggest browsing Miller hats. I bought an open crowned Indy Miller in brown. Nice dress hat... but I think it's too small on me. [huh] (It seemed fine when I bought it, but the more I wear it, the more I think I needed the next size... the curse of being a 7 7/16!!!)
NB

Lancealot

Practically Family
I have a Stetson Temple I've had it about 5 years seems its held up alright no tapering or anything like that but it does sound like its hit and miss with them.

The only problem I have with it is it has "vein on the brim near the front that I can't seem to get out. Any ideas on how to fix that would be appreciated.

Matthew

New in Town
I have a Stetson Temple and a Stetson Hampton.

The hat is fine, but I wish I had gotten something with a teardrop crown instead, more like the Stetson Ashland.

Anyone know where I can find something in a brown color, with a ~4" teardrop crown with a 2" - 2 1/8" brim?

- Matt

EdinLA44

Familiar Face
I've got a modern Stetson Chatham in caribou (grey) and a Hampton in tawny (dark tan) and they seem to hold up o.k. (so far), but living in Los Angeles, I haven't worn it in the rain yet so the ultimate test is yet to come.

Ed

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Matthew said:
I have a Stetson Temple and a Stetson Hampton.

The hat is fine, but I wish I had gotten something with a teardrop crown instead, more like the Stetson Ashland.

Anyone know where I can find something in a brown color, with a ~4" teardrop crown with a 2" - 2 1/8" brim?

- Matt

I would suggest the Stetson downs. It's my daily "driver".

Fedora

Vendor
That line that Stetson puts out uses finishing powder to make the color nice and even. This powder bleeds out if you get the hat wet. You are left with color on your collar and a less even color on the hat itself. That is my personal experience. Fedora

Lancealot said:
I have a Stetson Temple I've had it about 5 years seems its held up alright no tapering or anything like that but it does sound like its hit and miss with them.

The only problem I have with it is it has "vein on the brim near the front that I can't seem to get out. Any ideas on how to fix that would be appreciated.

I'd like to see a picture of the vein you mentioned. Is it indented in the felt or on puffed out from it? Sounds like a felting problem in either case if it stays in the felt. Good Ole Stetson and their high quality materials used. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Fedora

Vendor
I'd like to see a picture of the vein you mentioned. Is it indented in the felt or on puffed out from it? Sounds like a felting problem in either case if it stays in the felt. Good Ole Stetson and their high quality materials used.

Could be that JP, or as simple as a crack in the brim flange. I have one that is cracked and it yielded that vein, until I patched up the crack. My last hat from Optimo had one of these on the crown, due to a crack in the vintage block used to produce the hat. I was ok with it, when Graham told me about it prior to him shipping it out. Fedora

Fedora said:
Could be that JP, or as simple as a crack in the brim flange. I have one that is cracked and it yielded that vein, until I patched up the crack. My last hat from Optimo had one of these on the crown, due to a crack in the vintage block used to produce the hat. I was ok with it, when Graham told me about it prior to him shipping it out. Fedora

Those cracks are nearly impossible for the novice to get out as well. You might have something there. I suppose you could clean and reflange the hat. Maybe that might work. [huh] My advice to Lancealot would be to take it to a professional either way. They have better tools than we do at home to deal with such problems. :D

Regards,

J

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I have seen what you call "veins" in hats but not much in Stetsons . I've seen quite a few on Borsalino hats that were color runs in the felt . Cracks in a flanges will also cause this to happen but since Stetosn uses metal flanges , cracks are rare. Borsalino uses wood as does most of the factories in Europe so there are more problems that can occur .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Lancealot

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
I'd like to see a picture of the vein you mentioned. Is it indented in the felt or on puffed out from it? Sounds like a felting problem in either case if it stays in the felt. Good Ole Stetson and their high quality materials used. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

I'll get the camera out and take a few picks. It's right in the front on the crown side. It pops up a wee bit about 1/2 inch long.

BigSho

Vendor
I really think that people are right that the quality has declined over the years in almost al of the major hatmakers but they all still make good hats. The temple is a good hat but I don't think many people realize that hats are NOT i repeat NOT supposed to be worn in the rain or snow. That is not what they are made for. Its just like wearing a 1000 dollar leather coat in the rain.

Jeremy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana