Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STETSON Tokyo Whippet

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Answering a few hat questions since the release of the open crown Whippet on the Japanese market. I designed both US and Japanese Versions for STETSON. The primary differences between the @john_b.stetson_tokyo issue Royal whippet versus the 2016 issue US Excellent quality open crown version. 1. Excellent has vintage quality cotton rayon ribbon. Japan has polyester which has a shine and is a bit harder to iron. 2. To attach the ribbon, Excellent has Cotton polyfill thread, Japan has clear nylon fishing line. 3. Excellent is pure beaver at a 90 gram weight. Much much thinner and denser. Japan is 120 gram weight rabbit. 4. Sweatband is tumbled skived special order vintage repro thin roan sheepskin. Japan is standard roan sheepskin. 5. Excellent is done on original master blocks used to make the STETSON whippet. Japan is done on new wide oval block modified off the original for the Japanese market. 6. Excellent has metallic branded STETSON wind cord which can be taken down from the hat to be put through a jacket lapel button hole. #stetson #stetsonjapan #stetsontokyo
4b98164eb40ca6c8021857c55d3243f0.jpg
8eedd5000e739cadead440cfeafc7d76.jpg
983c5190d8e20ecacdabc2b473af8771.jpg
2ac9f7d9df55c1544a318dad3794daae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Answering a few hat questions since the release of the open crown Whippet on the Japanese market. I designed both US and Japanese Versions for STETSON. The primary differences between the @john_b.stetson_tokyo issue Royal whippet versus the 2016 issue US Excellent quality open crown version. 1. Excellent has vintage quality cotton rayon ribbon. Japan has polyester which has a shine and is a bit harder to iron. 2. To attach the ribbon, Excellent has Cotton polyfill thread, Japan has clear nylon fishing line. 3. Excellent is pure beaver at a 90 gram weight. Much much thinner and denser. Japan is 120 gram weight rabbit. 4. Sweatband is tumbled skived special order vintage repro thin roan sheepskin. Japan is standard roan sheepskin. 5. Excellent is done on original master blocks used to make the STETSON whippet. Japan is done on new wide oval block modified off the original for the Japanese market. 6. Excellent has metallic branded STETSON wind cord which can be taken down from the hat to be put through a jacket lapel button hole. #stetson #stetsonjapan #stetsontokyo
4b98164eb40ca6c8021857c55d3243f0.jpg
8eedd5000e739cadead440cfeafc7d76.jpg
983c5190d8e20ecacdabc2b473af8771.jpg
2ac9f7d9df55c1544a318dad3794daae.jpg

After reading this i’ll take the American version of the New Whippet even over a vintage one. If i can find one.
I got a Premier Strat and an Excellent Stetsonian, both prototypes i believe, from you and both are fantastic Matt. The felt of the Excellent is particularly divine.
Thanks for the writeup and of course the hats.
Be well. Bowen

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
The idea was to bring back a classic open crown that hat shops could customize for their customers Stetson’s Tokyo shop modeling the open crown whippet I designed for STETSON. Special blocks were produced for the Japanese market as Japanese headshapes are on average a wider oval than Anglo American head shapes. #mattdeckard @thechapmag #rrl #doublerl #selvedge

88b74ae32ff0fa3c81d167b4163814f3.jpg

Héctor Fernández

One Too Many
The idea was to bring back a classic open crown that hat shops could customize for their customers Stetson’s Tokyo shop modeling the open crown whippet I designed for STETSON. Special blocks were produced for the Japanese market as Japanese headshapes are on average a wider oval than Anglo American head shapes. #mattdeckard @thechapmag #rrl #doublerl #selvedge

88b74ae32ff0fa3c81d167b4163814f3.jpg

Very nice! I was lucky to get my hands on a couple of the 100X Beaver prototypes, and all I can say is.....Wow!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Matt, that was fun. I picked up a "Vintage Whipppet JP" open crown, but I don't think it is the excellent quality. My "New York LE Excellent Quality open crown 100% Beaver is a much finer felt, and a little bit more comfortable for me. Nice work!
IMG_3584.jpeg
IMG_2155.jpeg

Last edited:

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Matt, that was fun. I picked up a "Vintage Whipppet JP" open crown...

Jonesy86: slightly off topic... are there decent hat shops in Hawaii? Or does it all have to be mail order? How is the hat wearing “environment“ in Hawaii?

BTW, beautiful hats. Added to my wish list! :)

Last edited:

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Not much in the way of hat stores, and only baseball hats and cheap straw beach hats on Kauai. I imagine you can find a decent felt hat in Honolulu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB