STETSON Tokyo Whippet

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Matt Deckard, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Matt Deckard

Matt Deckard Man of Action

Answering a few hat questions since the release of the open crown Whippet on the Japanese market. I designed both US and Japanese Versions for STETSON. The primary differences between the @john_b.stetson_tokyo issue Royal whippet versus the 2016 issue US Excellent quality open crown version. 1. Excellent has vintage quality cotton rayon ribbon. Japan has polyester which has a shine and is a bit harder to iron. 2. To attach the ribbon, Excellent has Cotton polyfill thread, Japan has clear nylon fishing line. 3. Excellent is pure beaver at a 90 gram weight. Much much thinner and denser. Japan is 120 gram weight rabbit. 4. Sweatband is tumbled skived special order vintage repro thin roan sheepskin. Japan is standard roan sheepskin. 5. Excellent is done on original master blocks used to make the STETSON whippet. Japan is done on new wide oval block modified off the original for the Japanese market. 6. Excellent has metallic branded STETSON wind cord which can be taken down from the hat to be put through a jacket lapel button hole. #stetson #stetsonjapan #stetsontokyo[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DOGMAN, William G., Rmccamey and 9 others like this.
  2. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

The only remaining hat I can get interested in is that damn Whippet.

3. Matt Deckard

Your hatting days aren't over yet.

Héctor Fernández likes this.
  4. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

After reading this i’ll take the American version of the New Whippet even over a vintage one. If i can find one.
    I got a Premier Strat and an Excellent Stetsonian, both prototypes i believe, from you and both are fantastic Matt. The felt of the Excellent is particularly divine.
    Thanks for the writeup and of course the hats.
    Be well. Bowen

5. Héctor Fernández

Héctor Fernández A-List Customer

Thanks for the information sir.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

6. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

So, @Matt Deckard, do I understand there will be an American Whippet re-do available soon at a hatter near me?!

PanosChris likes this.
  7. Matt Deckard

The idea was to bring back a classic open crown that hat shops could customize for their customers Stetson’s Tokyo shop modeling the open crown whippet I designed for STETSON. Special blocks were produced for the Japanese market as Japanese headshapes are on average a wider oval than Anglo American head shapes. #mattdeckard @thechapmag #rrl #doublerl #selvedge

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Héctor Fernández

Héctor Fernández A-List Customer

Very nice! I was lucky to get my hands on a couple of the 100X Beaver prototypes, and all I can say is.....Wow!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk