Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Whippet vs Stetson Saxon?

zackefeller

New in Town
Hey Loungers,

I have been deliberating between a Whippet and Saxon for a while now, and can't seem to come to a decision, so here I am seeking the wisdom of you hat experts.

Now I know modern Stetsons aren't what they used to be, and they are more of a entry-mid level hat these days, that being said I think it's as far as I'd like to pay for a nice hat.

I already own a Stetson Chatham, and I love it to bits, but the raw edge is starting to bug me (I'm always worried the edge is going to start fraying) and I want something with a finished edge.

The purpose of this hat would be my go-to hat, the one that sees the most action. I'm not too concerned about versatility as my daily dress is usually mid 20's esque, typically white button down shirt, a tie of some sort (and collar bar if the collar shape allows), a vest with lapels, and a blazer with pants. When it's hot I just lose the blazer and roll up my shirt sleeves. But I supposed if I wanted to go all hipster I could mix modern clothing with the hat and still look alright (Johnny Depp kills it all the time).

So I'm in between the almost stingy underwelt Saxon and the Classy Whippet, which has virtually the same dimensions as my Chatham but with a wider ribbon and ribbon trimming on the edge.

The Whippet in question is here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FXWHIL...olid=G4GMDM52HEFX&coliid=I1S6YQN8GSCAG0&psc=1
321023-Stetson-Hats-Caribou.jpg

And the Saxon is:
https://www.amazon.com/Stetson-Saxo...23011&psd=1&keywords=stetson+saxon&th=1&psc=1
size-6-3-4.jpg

I only want to get one of them, so "both" isn't the answer for me :p

Or should I just stick to the Chatham?
91622.jpg
Thanks guys!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Hey Loungers,

I have been deliberating between a Whippet and Saxon for a while now, and can't seem to come to a decision, so here I am seeking the wisdom of you hat experts.

Now I know modern Stetsons aren't what they used to be, and they are more of a entry-mid level hat these days, that being said I think it's as far as I'd like to pay for a nice hat.

I already own a Stetson Chatham, and I love it to bits, but the raw edge is starting to bug me (I'm always worried the edge is going to start fraying) and I want something with a finished edge.

The purpose of this hat would be my go-to hat, the one that sees the most action. I'm not too concerned about versatility as my daily dress is usually mid 20's esque, typically white button down shirt, a tie of some sort (and collar bar if the collar shape allows), a vest with lapels, and a blazer with pants. When it's hot I just lose the blazer and roll up my shirt sleeves. But I supposed if I wanted to go all hipster I could mix modern clothing with the hat and still look alright (Johnny Depp kills it all the time).

So I'm in between the almost stingy underwelt Saxon and the Classy Whippet, which has virtually the same dimensions as my Chatham but with a wider ribbon and ribbon trimming on the edge.

The Whippet in question is here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FXWHIL...olid=G4GMDM52HEFX&coliid=I1S6YQN8GSCAG0&psc=1
View attachment 73460
And the Saxon is:
https://www.amazon.com/Stetson-Saxon-Royal-Quality-Caribou/dp/B0043GF6JM/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1493608495&sr=1-1&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=stetson+saxon&th=1&psc=1
View attachment 73461
I only want to get one of them, so "both" isn't the answer for me :p

Or should I just stick to the Chatham? View attachment 73462 Thanks guys!
If they are still making a premier or excellent quality open crown Whippet I would get that.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
There is place for questions like this
For future reference
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/ask-a-question-get-an-answer.41576/

in my opinion if you are not purchasing one of Stetsons open crown modern offerings you are wasting your money... and even those are not great

Those hats pictured are pretty much the equivalent of costume hats... my sincere apologies if that sounds harsh ... but I've handled these things... I would even go Akubra over modern Stetson ... and I'm no Akubra lover

but if you are really looking for a "go to" everyday wearer my advice would be to save a few more pennies and commission one of the many fine hatters here for something custom.

... or take a deeper search and find something made back when hats were made well and the competition between companies kept the materials quality high and craftsmanship sharp

Last edited:

OC Fry

Familiar Face
Whippet is teardrop like the Chatham? And the Saxon looks like the Temple. Tough choice but my style preference would be the Saxon. The edge almost looks raw... Saxon seems more casual, Whippet seems more dressy, but that's just me...

For future reference

in my opinion if you are not purchasing one of Stetsons open crown modern offerings you are wasting your money... and even those are not great

Those hats pictured are pretty much the equivalent of costume hats... my sincere apologies if that sounds harsh ... but I've handled these things

If you are really looking for a "go to" everyday wearer my advice would be to save a few more pennies and commission one of the many fine hatters here for something custom.

... or take a deeper search and find something made back when hats were made well and the competition between companies kept the materials quality high and craftsmanship sharp
Werd!

For the money, I would invest in a custom from one of the many great hatters you will find here on the lounge. If you can't actually touch the new Stetsons to check the QC for yourself, it can be throwing money down a rat hole. My personal hatter is Mike Miller at Northwest Hats in Oregon. But there are a number of custom hatters here, search Gannon, VS, Black Sheep Hat Works, and I'm sure more folks will chime in with more. You can do much better for the same money.

For the money, I would invest in a custom from one of the many great hatters you will find here on the lounge. If you can't actually touch the new Stetsons to check the QC for yourself, it can be throwing money down a rat hole. My personal hatter is Mike Miller at Northwest Hats in Oregon. But there are a number of custom hatters here, search Gannon, VS, Black Sheep Hat Works, and I'm sure more folks will chime in with more. You can do much better for the same money.
I agree wholeheartedly with Red here. The pricing on a custom Rabbit felt is not much more than an off the rack Stetson and there is no comparison in the quality. I have both custom Rabbit and Beaver felt hats and while the Beaver is the nicer of the two you don't suffer much drop off in quality with a custom Rabbit felt hat. I think Mike at NW is still $200 base for a Rabbit felt custom.

Uhu

Familiar Face
Another vote for going with a custom. The difference in price between a custom and a modern Stetson is not great, but the difference in quality is a world apart. I mail ordered a modern open crown Stetson Whippet, and instantly regretted it. Zero comparison with a vintage Stetson. I described my experience here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-new-stetson-whippets.88699/ starting with post 37, and more here http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/how-do-you-rate-the-modern-stetson-premiers.89886/

RJR

Another vote for going with a custom. The difference in price between a custom and a modern Stetson is not great, but the difference in quality is a world apart. I mail ordered a modern open crown Stetson Whippet, and instantly regretted it. Zero comparison with a vintage Stetson. I described my experience here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-new-stetson-whippets.88699/ starting with post 37, and more here http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/how-do-you-rate-the-modern-stetson-premiers.89886/
+1

Fourman110

One of the Regulars
Why would one go custom? You get what you want exactly how you like it. They often even put your name in it. Makes no sense to me.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm selling my modern Whippet and Strat and replacing with Gannon's.

zackefeller

New in Town
For future reference

Those hats pictured are pretty much the equivalent of costume hats... my sincere apologies if that sounds harsh ... but I've handled these things... I would even go Akubra over modern Stetson ... and I'm no Akubra lover

but if you are really looking for a "go to" everyday wearer my advice would be to save a few more pennies and commission one of the many fine hatters here for something custom.

Tis the harsh truth haha, I appreciate the candidness here. Yeah maybe I'll just wait till my Chatham falls apart (which form the sounds of it won't be too long) then I'll look for the prospects of a custom hat.

zackefeller

New in Town
Whippet is teardrop like the Chatham? And the Saxon looks like the Temple. Tough choice but my style preference would be the Saxon. The edge almost looks raw... Saxon seems more casual, Whippet seems more dressy, but that's just me...

Yeah the Saxon has an underwelt.. but from the looks of the majority of replies a custom is in the cards in the future lol

OC Fry

Familiar Face
Yeah the Saxon has an underwelt.. but from the looks of the majority of replies a custom is in the cards in the future lol

Yeah, damn I just got a Temple the other day and I did like it but now not so sure after reading the posts slamming Stetsons... I guess I'm gonna wear it anyway!:)

Yeah, damn I just got a Temple the other day and I did like it but now not so sure after reading the posts slamming Stetsons... I guess I'm gonna wear it anyway!:)
I own 2 modern Stetsonians and I DO like the hat. The felt and the styling are both very good and I love to wear them. My complaint is around the details. Both hats (Grey and Mink) had the same generic Black ribbon work. Both hats had harsh lines/indents where the brim meets the crown. The mark is lower than the ribbon and it shows....at least to me.
I disliked the black ribbons so much I sent them Mike at NW to be replaced. I also asked Mike to reflange the grey one as the brim went all wonky after one wearing in a very light rain. If I had paid even an online discounted price and adding the extra for the new ribbons/reflange it is more than I would have paid for a custom. I wear my Stetsons and enjoy them but when it comes to receiving value for my money, to me, customs represent far better choice.

RJR

I own 2 modern Stetsonians and I DO like the hat. The felt and the styling are both very good and I love to wear them. My complaint is around the details. Both hats (Grey and Mink) had the same generic Black ribbon work. Both hats had harsh lines/indents where the brim meets the crown. The mark is lower than the ribbon and it shows....at least to me.
I disliked the black ribbons so much I sent them Mike at NW to be replaced. I also asked Mike to reflange the grey one as the brim went all wonky after one wearing in a very light rain. If I had paid even an online discounted price and adding the extra for the new ribbons/reflange it is more than I would have paid for a custom. I wear my Stetsons and enjoy them but when it comes to receiving value for my money, to me, customs represent far better choice.
Well put.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
wear them !!!
you look great in them
my statement is more coming from the stance of ... it is hard for me to eat a flank steak from ShopRIte after eating a perfectly cooked tenderloin from Keens Steak House on W. 36th St.

OC Fry

Familiar Face
wear them !!!
you look great in them
my statement is more coming from the stance of ... it is hard for me to eat a flank steak from ShopRIte after eating a perfectly cooked tenderloin from Keens Steak House on W. 36th St.
Thanks man! I see where you're coming from and understand completely. I don't have a custom but I see one in my future. In the meantime gotta have something to top a tee shirt....

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thanks man! I see where you're coming from and understand completely. I don't have a custom but I see one in my future. In the meantime gotta have something to top a tee shirt....
I love a fedora with a tee .. I do it all the time ... I love the way it looks ... especially a thin ribbon

... and I was really talking about hats that were made in a different era when mentioning the Keens tenderloin ... but customs are quite nice as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk