Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson's 80s Indiana Jones official hat quality?

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

Does anyone know what standards of quality were for the official hats Stetson sold in the 80's? I mean the ones available in brown or grey, with no liner, and a black sticker on the underside of the crown with "Indiana Jones" logo. They were bashed in a "Temple of Doom" style, centerdent with soft frontal pinch.

That is, what's the quality of their felt? I know Stetson provided some hats for that movie, and then sold hats under official licence for some time; then they allowed that to expire, and changed the name of their IJ style hat to "Temple".

Are the ones I describe the predecessors of the "Temple", and so a well made hat, or a lower quality official merchandising product?

Regards!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
There were at least a couple of different production hats in the frenzy that followed the Temple of Doom release. (Perhaps Michaelson will speak up on the subject.)

I had one of the official Stetson Indiana Jones fur-felt hats, but it was a notch up in quality from what you are describing. It was brown and had a sepia-colored lining with the Indy-lettering logo on top. The felt was thick but very soft and pliable - it came as a center dent, but could have been reshaped with a touch of steam. The only regard in which it wasn't a first-class hat was that it had a padded cloth, not leather, sweatband. (So it felt more like wearing a cap than a proper hat.) It cost around $45 new in 1984 - I think I got it in a NYC hat store.

I'd post pictures, but alas, I lost the hat in my divorce a few years back, one of the many things that vanished during packing/moving/divesting/etc. It would be a size too small for me now anyway, but I wish I still had it...

Mossyrock

One of the Regulars
HarpPlayerGene said:
I've never owned one of these but weren't the unlined, labeled IJ hats wool?

Yes. The fur felt editions had the liner mentioned above. Interestingly enough, my fur felt '84-vintage Stetson Indy came with a tear-drop crown bash and a leather sweat. Over the years, it shrunk, tapered badly and bled through the ribbon after it got wet. But, I was emotionally attached to it, so I recently sent it to Optimo for a complete rebuild. Sure, I paid more for the rebuild than it was probably worth, but I have a lot of fond memories of that hat...I wore it in at least a dozen countries on four continents...we have history . :D

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
theinterchange said:
There were lined and unlined versions... I think mine was unlined. It had the image of Ford and the machete with the Indiana Jones logo on the crown sticker.

Laotou, from what I see, I think you have one of the better grade ones. :)

Randy

Unless mistaken, I recall there was also either cloth or leather sweaband option. I do recall the BRIGHT YELLOW liner tho'! lol

laotou

One of the Regulars
It does seem to be one of the better ones.
I don't mind the sweat band one bit.
No sign of wear at all. Just a bit dusty and out of shape.Nothing a brush and a touch of steam didn't fix.
I can't complain.
As much as I like wearing a hat like Grandpas, I love to pay the same price he would have for a new one.:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko