Steve McQueen Black Leather Jacket

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by JSFCHRIS, Dec 8, 2021.

1. JSFCHRIS

JSFCHRIS New in Town

Looking for assistance with identifying this black leather jacket worn by Steve McQueen in 1961. There are just a couple of photos online that capture some of the jacket’s characteristics (attached). Some features I can see are:
    - Smooth leather (not pebbled), possibly calf leather. Not sure what was common in the early 60s
    - Button front, no zipper seen
    - Dual chest pockets, on either side of button front, possibly with buttons but unbuttoned in photo
    - Leather cuff at sleeve ending (not ribbed fabric) with button, so likely not a Bomber style jacket
    - Traditional leather collar, not banded collar, so it may not be a Cafe Racer

Attached Files:

TREEMAN and Bfd70 like this.
  2. photo2u

photo2u Practically Family

Cool jacket. I like Charles Bronson's j100 jacket better.

3. JSFCHRIS

JSFCHRIS New in Town

Was not that familiar with the J100. It’s nice too, but seems more rugged (at least with Bronson wearing it:) than refined like the one Steve McQueen is wearing. Looking for the smooth leather, minimal additions to the jacket look that the one shown seems to convey…from the pictures available. So many leather jackets these days are using rougher leather or dull looking corrected leather. What caught my eye about the one Steve McQueen is wearing is the smooth leather with some luster, simple features, no ribbed fabric on sleeves (and presumably waist)…a refined look. Button front was also unusual, mostly found these days on car coats. Now, just have to ID the make/brand.

4. TREEMAN

TREEMAN One Too Many

Looks like it might be car length…

photo2u likes this.
  5. photo2u

The type in SM jacket was used by Reed leather jackets. I have something similar. Clean lines and smooth supple leather. I like it. Good luck in your mission. If some member can view different angles of that particular jacket, I am sure they will give you their thought.

JSFCHRIS likes this.
  6. photo2u

Because of the buttons? I agree.