Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STF Aero Bootlegger Loadsa Pics (inc's new sneak preview of new designs and a mug!)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Well... I took a visit over to Aero yesterday, ostensibly to set down the details for my jacket. I was kvetching over whether or not to go with the Letterman or go all in on a Royale - Denny and Murray were very patient and tolerant (they did minimum amount of eye-rolling, for I was very grateful).
And, well, you know how it is, I did what anyone from here does when they're at the factory and started raking through the sale racks - there's a lot of heavy leather there, so it's a workout as well! Anyway, just I was about to knuckle down to the business of making my mind up, I happened upon a beaut of a Bootlegger in gorgeous cordovan FQHH with brown drill lining The label said 38 but it looked about right, and given that I've always loved this design, how could it hurt to try it on? Turns out this is what Thurston call the premiere pattern (or super tight fit as it's known in Japan): slimmed down body and sleeves, lifted arm holes, no storm cuffs and the zip removed from the breast pocket. It's a really comfortable fit, I couldn't have modded it better myself - the lighter lining and lack of storm cuffs mean its just a little bit lighter and flexible, so I can use it on cooler summer evenings (we get a lot of those) and into autumn.
So, after much to-ing and fro-ing between the Royale and the Bootlegger - the Letterman is absolutely top-hole, btw, the shawl collar and folded knits really set it apart but y'know, I had to try make my choice a bit easier - I decided that sometimes when you're offered a thoroughbred horse, you really shouldn't insist on examining its molars! Still very keen on the Royale, but it'll need to wait til next (and there's always a next time!).
Anyway, enough of my burbling, here's the slide show you've patiently been waiting for...

Right! That's enough of that great looking Bootlegger, here's a couple of sneak previews of forthcoming designs.
The top one is based on a jacket belonging to Ken: it's a very accurate repro (though in mid-weight leather rather than suede) with the knit collar backed with leather and can be zipped to the top. The second pic is a repro of Amelia Earhart's famous jacket. Both are still test jackets, but are looking good. Incidentally, in the first pic below, you can see the new goat Aero's just got in - very soft with a lot of character. Oh and you can see one of the very cool Aero enamel mugs, of which I am drinking tea from just now.

8x10_amillia%20earhart%201.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-10_22-24-45.png
    upload_2017-5-10_22-24-45.png
    538 KB · Views: 822
  • upload_2017-5-10_22-26-14.png
    upload_2017-5-10_22-26-14.png
    488 KB · Views: 774
  • upload_2017-5-10_22-27-24.png
    upload_2017-5-10_22-27-24.png
    523.4 KB · Views: 777
  • upload_2017-5-10_22-28-12.png
    upload_2017-5-10_22-28-12.png
    591 KB · Views: 788
Last edited:

Graemsay

Practically Family
@Sloan1874 a bunch of your image links are broken. I'm getting a 403 forbidden HTTP error.

The problematic images are the first and the last eight of the Bootlegger, and the two images above Amelia Earhart.

Your new jacket looks good, but I'm not sure about the carpet. :p

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Great looking jacket Craig, although it appears a number of pictures failed to download, including the Aero enamel mugs. I would love to spend a few hours cruising through the Aero factory. Maybe someday ...

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Same pic issues for me too. BUT the ones that appear look very very nice indeed. I've got a long-awaited Sunburst on its way even as we speak, courtesy of Carrie at Thurston Bros, but I also foresee a Bootlegger in my future, maybe with a D pocket mod like Carlos'. In a way I wish i could join you on a trip to Aero Craig - but for monetary reasons i'm glad I can't!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
OK, great additional pictures. Your new Premier Range Bootlegger appears to fit you as well as anything I have seen you post and don't see how you could have tweaked it to fit any better, even if pre-ordered. Well done!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Same pic issues for me too. BUT the ones that appear look very very nice indeed. I've got a long-awaited Sunburst on its way even as we speak, courtesy of Carrie at Thurston Bros, but I also foresee a Bootlegger in my future, maybe with a D pocket mod like Carlos'. In a way I wish i could join you on a trip to Aero Craig - but for monetary reasons i'm glad I can't!

Look forward to seeing it, Benny. I think you can expect to see the Bootlegger with D-pocket appearing as a standard design later in the year. As you say, while it's great to visit the factory in person, it's not good for your bank balance!

The more I look at this BL the more I really dig the open pocket config. It goes against my typical grain but I see the allure, it really cleans up the overall design. Simple designs that showcase less is more are always the best. Enjoy it Sloan.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That looks great on you mate! It must have been just hanging there on the rack waiting for you to come along. I love the new designs too, just too cool. You'll definitely see some pics of the Sunburst when it arrives - to contrast with my 12 year old brown FQHH Halfbelt, this one's chestnut steer.

And Ton, I reckon this had planted a seed in your mind, buddy . . . lol

Did it ever. I'd like to revisit the midnight blue CXL. Red drill liner. Zip-less config. Silver nickel main zip and buckles. Mind is already racing...

Mark

Practically Family
Nice BL Sloan and great fit. Have to say I really like the look of that Amelia Earhart jacket, would make a great summer jacket in a lighter hide. Thanks for posting.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Thanks everyone, it's not often I get lucky this way, though I'm still very much up for the Royale even if my bank manager isn't!
I think a light skin would be key to the Earhart pattern - the mid-brown horse is proving to be a really flexible skin for Aero. It's a really nice design, and I was sorely tempted by it, but this version was shading on to the too short for me.
Suspect I will have to wait for a couple of cold mornings at this time of year to justify throwing it on to soften it up a little (it's current sitting up bolt straight in the living room).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana