Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sticky NOS Talon zipper on ELC A-2

auxair

New in Town
Dear all,

Whilst still waiting for my new Aero Anniversary A-2, I just acquired via E-bay a two year old, near mint, ELC Rough Wear 27752 seal brown A-2 for US$400 (plus $50 for airmail ). Delivery was made in three days. Very satisfied with the price, quality and fitting but the NOS Talon zipper on it is quite sticky. I reckon that being a vintage zipper, I naturally wish to handle it with care.

I should be grateful for any suggestions as to how to get the zipper running more smoothly. Normally I would use a candle stick or soap bar on sticky zippers but for this one, I think I better seek some advices from the experts here.

Much obliged.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Try powdered carbon

You can get it in hardware stores in a plastic puffer that blows it into ceased locks to loosen them up. I have used it on zips to good effect and it is 'easy' on the vintage metal (which you want).

Regards, Paddy.

CBI

One Too Many
rub a wax candle on the teeth of the zipper, should loosen it/smooth it up.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Graphite (carbon) powder is a good choice if you want a good non mineral-based lubricant but I would use it VERY sparingly. Powderized carbon can easily stain the lining (especially on an A2 as there is no leather facing) and may leave a black residue on the zipper teeth. A good soft pencil does a similar job.

I would personally go with a beeswax candle that you run down the zipper. Inside, outside, zip open and closed. That should help.

Marv

A-List Customer
I had a similar problem with my NOS Talon on my ELC Star.....after carefully rubbing candle wax on the zipper teeth it has been fine since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran