Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stink extermination thoughts

Stand By

One Too Many
You seem to have done everything right so far …. and I agree with Monitor - I'd leave it outside for as much of a natural airing as possible at this point.
When you feel its ready to come indoors again, you could try hanging little pieces of cedar wood on coat hanger hooks and spray them with cedar solution. It soaks right in instantly and acts as a natural deodorizer.

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
Stay away from baking soda, the alkaline pH may have an undesired effect on the finish. I would get activated carbon from a pet supply store (fish supplies) and essentially smother the whole jacket with it in a plastic bin with a tight fitting top for at least a week.. Don't go cheap with the carbon! It shouldn't hurt the jacket and has the best chance of pulling organic odors out. As the jacket probably developed the stink over a long time, you'll need to be patient. Good luck!

Navydivedoc

One of the Regulars
Stay away from baking soda, the alkaline pH may have an undesired effect on the finish. I would get activated carbon from a pet supply store (fish supplies) and essentially smother the whole jacket with it in a plastic bin with a tight fitting top for at least a week.. Don't go cheap with the carbon! It shouldn't hurt the jacket and has the best chance of pulling organic odors out. As the jacket probably developed the stink over a long time, you'll need to be patient. Good luck!

Thanks, carbon is a good thought. I may give it a try. At this point, I may continue the experiment into the realm of patina production. I'm not a big fan of artificially aging jackets, but since I've inadvertantly started down that road via the baking soda, maybe I'll play a bit. Smell is largely gone now, and after the rain ends today it goes back outside for another couple of days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner