Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stories That Hats Tell

Some hats can speak... what stories have you heard?

This old top hat had a story stored inside.

saronia.jpg

saroni4.jpg

The oilcloth sweatband was separated from the reed in a small area. Behind the sweat was a pad made from newspaper.

1.jpg

2.jpg

As with felt, a small amount of steam brought the paper back to life.

3.jpg

The sheet did not reveal the name of the newspaper or the date of publication. I haven't read it completely, but have not yet found a year on either page. But this article was revealing.

4.jpg

Admiral Ferdinand-Alphonse Hamelin was born in 1796 and turned 59 in September 1855. The newspaper padding might have been added after manufacture, but the top hat must date from 1855-56 or earlier.

Other stories contained fascinating bits and pieces of the day. I hope you enjoy them.

news1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

The AMA was less than a decade old. It would grow to more than a quarter million members.

8.jpg

9.jpg

Please post the stories that your hats have told...

Last edited:

Knotten

Practically Family
I love this! One of stories on the clippings you shared mentions "Mr. Buchanan" as a minister in England, who was received by the French emperor. That would have to be James Buchanan, who went on to be the 15th president of the United States. He was stationed in England as minister to the Court of St. James during the Franklin Pierce administration, which was from 1853-57, which adds further evidence to the paper having been placed in the hat in the mid-1850s. What a find! You need to find a way to preserve that paper.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Wow! Now that is what I would call an interesting find. Makes a neat old hat even neater. Way more
exciting than the time I found newspaper strips from 1991 in the sweat of a cowboy hat I found last year. Wish I'd have saved them now, maybe something of interest was on them.

viclip

Practically Family
Interesting pair of references to the Crimean War (October 1853 – February 1856) respecting incidents involving both English & French troops engaged against the Russians.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Great stuff, Alan! The story from Wisconsin is interesting. Stoughton, Wi is my hometown! I'll see if I can dig up the date of that fire.

B

Super idea for a thread, Alan. Nowhere near the age of your time capsule, but I have wondered what to do with this folded shim I pulled out of a derby; San Francisco Examiner from June 2, 1939...

When was the last time you even thought of shortwave schedules?

Mystic

Practically Family
This is truly a fantastic find, Alan from a hat collectors point of view and a historic point of view. You have out done yourself on this one.

Related info to the mention of Col. J. Broward. Interesting why this would be a news item in this paper.
The Broward family was very prominent and influential in Jacksonville, Fl. as well as the State of Florida. Huge land owners in and around Jacksonville.

Land owners, business owners, politicians, boat builders, one Governor of Fl....Still a large prominent family in Jacksonville.

The Broward family book: http://thebrowardfamily.com/book.html

Napoleon Bonaparte Broward Bridge:
damespoint.jpg

Last edited:

GregNYC

One Too Many
Alan, at the bottom of one of the photos is an ad for a book that appeared in 1854:

"A sermon of old age: Preached at the Music Hall, on Sunday, the 29th of January, 1854." The book is from one of American Transcendentalist and abolitionist Theodore Parker's sermons, delivered on that day. The book was also published in 1854. The publisher was Benjamin B. Mussey of Boston. Parker lived and worked in Boston for much of his career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana