Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strapless B3 ?

John Warr

Familiar Face
Anyone ever seen a "strapless" B3 ? We have one in from a client at the minute - yes, we are still working :) - which has no sign of original waist straps. No sign at all. At some point in it's life, someone has RIVETED a pair of straps on there which we have removed & made good but that gave us a chance to look RALLY closely in there and there is no sign at all of original straps having been fitted. Any clues ?

According to the label the jacket is by "Aero leather Clo Co" to drawing number 33H5595, Contract Number 43-13616-AF.

We have never seen a "strapless" B3 before & those straps are not exactly subtle and I can't see them being removable without leaving any trace :)

The client wanted straps on there so we have made a pair of lightweight straps up using the buckles that we found on there and sewn them to the overbanding (so they can easily be removed if necessary). We are not over-keen on fitting new straps to B3s as the skins are rather fragile by now & the weight of leather originally used would tear away.

John Warr

Familiar Face
I don't have a "before and after" but I have a couple of pictures of the strap area showing the "made good" and the new straps - and no old stitch holes or other witness marks from original straps. (I am not a photographer) DSC_4797.JPG DSC_4798.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB