Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw Hat Riots of 1922 - now you know

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Now that's gotta be one crazy article to read over your morning coffee.

"Hey look sweetheart, there was a riot yesterday".
"Was it about prohibition?"
"No, hats".
"HATS??"
"Something about guys smashing up other guys straw hats..."
"Oh you menfolk..."

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I cheated a little and wore my Panama Bob creation to a garden party on Sunday the 16th. But I'm now duly wearing a fine felt Borsolino. I'm no boat rocker.

Walt

One of the Regulars
For some of us the weather is still too warm to switch to fur felt so we are still wearing straws...I generally wear them until the average daily temp is below 70 and then switch--that's usually by early Oct. BTW, as it is possible to get a concealed carry permit where I am (shall issue state) and open carry is 100% legal (that means yes we can strap on and wear a side arm like a six-shooter in public--no permit required) so I'm not too worried about some juvenile delinquent trying to take my Panama! :D

If you haven't read it, the book called "Hatless Jack" from a few years ago covers that straw riot history as well.

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
Thank goodness my panama was destroyed by a rainstorm weeks ago. So I should be perfectly safe for this year at least.... :D

So CLOSE!! I thought that with this current blast of hot weather, it would be important to remind everyone about the upcoming end of the season, and what could happen. Don't get caught... ;)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

In celebration of National Felt Hat Day 2013, I'm going to celebrate at Buckaroo Hatters in Covington TN.

O.K. I'm driving home from Mom's and taking a detour by Mike Moore's place and it just happens to be National Felt Hat Day. Jeez. I'm not doing much, but I am picking up some stuff (vest) and having Mike Rocky do a little re-shaping.

Later

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Any time it's above 70 degrees (it was almost ninety today) down goes the felt, up comes the straw! Anybody want to scrap wit me over my head gear is more'n welcome. Take a number or all at once, don't matter to me....

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I guess all that stuff in "Gangs of New York" wasn't fiction. Fighting over straw hats!!!! They probably would've gotten my hat but not without a fight! Crazy!

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points