Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style question

sal

One of the Regulars
Do you have multiple styles when you change hat color or do you have the same style in multiple colors?

I am getting two custom hats, at least one will be modeled after Bogey's Maltese Falcon. (my all time favorite style) That will be a Granite color.
My other is an a earth tone natural brown. I am trying to decide if I should get a different style, such as a Whippet reproduction or stay with the same style albeit a different color.

thanks for your opinion

Dronak

Familiar Face
The hats I normally wear are all the same style (fedoras) in different colors and materials. I do have some other ones (like a cap or two), but don't wear them much. I wouldn't mind having other styles for the extra variation they would offer, but it's been a little hard to find a hat style my wife likes on me. Since I've found one, I've been sticking with it. So if I were you, I'd probably just get a different color/material in the same style. But as for what you should do, I think it's mostly up to your personal taste and preference. Do you have other style hats already? Do you want to? Do you know that certain styles look good on you, but others don't? If not, are you willing to take a chance on a new style hat? Will you be able to make good use of hats in multiple styles (e.g., do they go well with your usual wardrobe)? I'm far from a hat expert though, so maybe others here will provide more/better suggestions. I hope this is of some help though.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I have hats of all styles that I change out depending on what I am wearing and how I feel. I do tend to like Grey and Silverbelly hats. As those color hats go with anything.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
I wouldn't wear a cowboy hat with a business suit, unless I was from Texas (in which case I would probably be wearing cowboy boots, too).

Likewise, if I were dressed like an 1960's C&W singer, I wouldn't wear a standard fedora.

Ball caps only with casual clothes or athletic uniforms.

I wear flat caps when the weather is very windy. At my age, I don't picture myself chasing a fedora down a busy street.

That being, said, there is a lot of room to maneuver. Get dressed, put on your hat, look in the mirror. If it looks odd or like a costume, try another hat.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All I can say is that at some point you have too many hats that look kind of alike or fill the same niche. When I first got a decent-paying job as a young person, I went to the local department stores and stocked up on shirts and ties. When I got them back, it dawned on me that many of my choices were similar, if not almost the same. So essentially I wasted money by doing that. Now I try to buy things that are different enough to justify their price. If I tried to build out a hat wardrobe, or in anything else, I would change from being a "hat wearer" to a "hat collector," which personally I'm not aiming to be.

Deputydowg1

New in Town
I don't have many hats but those that I wear are all a bit different. Taupe Stetson with a teardrop crown with a 2 1/2 brim that I wear with casual clothes, Light grey Bailey and Charcoal Borsalino Alessandria that I wear with grey or blue suits, Chocolate brown Stetson center dent that works well with brown or green suits. I also have a couple of nice Wigen ball caps that actually work well with my Navy and Brown Burberry trench coats.

1961MJS

Hi

At some point you'll work out what open crown size and bash, and what Brim size matches your face. When you work that out you can buy a black one, a gray one, a brown one, and a lighter tan one. As you age it's likely your face will get a little more round making a change in what sizes look best on you. If you can find a hat shop that will NOT tell you that you look great in whatever you pick up, that's a BIG help. Mike Moore at Buckaroo hatters and Hatman Jack in Wichita have both been helpful in that regard. Levine's in StL wasn't, but I didn't talk to Mr. Levine either.

Later

1961MJS

Same style but different colors....different styles in same color...variety is the spice of life....don't over think it....

Probably over thinking it, but more like SIMILAR styles, different colors. If you look best in wide brims (2.5 - 3 inches??) you probably won't own any stingy brims (I don't). Like Dean said above, don't over think it.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana