Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Styling your B3 or RAF. Do you wear mostly open, closed, baggy or slim?

MattieXMoto

One of the Regulars
I realize style & taste is very subjective. We had our 1st cold day in nyc and i saw a few fashionistas wear their b3. It was only 35 degrees people :)

I noticed even last yr many, even men, wear a very baggy b3. I know for the military applications they needed to layer and wear uniforms etc. But in cities and temps above zero, i can honestly wear a very light layer under my b3. basically a t shirt.

My question is how does the community feel about how civilian B3 fitments look best?

i dont have a good photo of mine on, but I prefer to:
1. Wear 99% of time open. If I zipped it up, I would catch fire
2. I prefer more of a fitted cropped look. Just barely enough room to zip up. So it looks good open. and if i have thick layer i prob couldnt zip with a ton of room to spare.

Even Tom Hardy's esquire photo looks too baggy to me. But i am sure it still sold a ton of coats for cockpit usa! Because if it is this baggy open, then closed it will look like Kanye wearing his Schott B3.

The fit in the movie Dunkirk looks better to me.

I believe the servicemen below look the best. Shoulders are where they are supposed to be.

Would love the community's thoughts, opinions and photos...

Screenshot_20231113_172039_Firefox.jpg

my preference in fit...
1000025112.jpg

Screenshot_20231113_173421_Firefox.jpg

1000025132.jpg

Too baggy for me

Screenshot_20231113_172931_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20231113_171143_Firefox.jpg
1000025116.jpg

Screenshot_20231113_174209_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't have a B3, but like my others, I wanted it to fit well rather than oversized. For shearling on women, I think oversized is nice.

Even if it doesn't look like it in the example pictures, I usually wear my jackets open.

Attachments

• IMG_1868.jpeg
    IMG_1868.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1620.jpeg
    IMG_1620.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3785.jpeg
    IMG_3785.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_7695.jpeg
    IMG_7695.jpeg
    827.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I prefer items to fit as they would have “in period”. So I look to historical photos as a fit guide. In most cases this just means it’s your size. Not slim fit or baggy, but fitted. Shoulder seams end at shoulders, or a little wider for layering, but those seams shouldn’t be hanging down past where your actual shoulder ends. I do my best to avoid trendy clothing and trendy sizing.

MattieXMoto

One of the Regulars
I don't have a B3, but like my others, I wanted it to fit well rather than oversized. For shearling on women, I think oversized is nice.

Even if it doesn't look like it in the example pictures, I usually wear my jackets open.
Damn. All 4 of those look custom tailored. Kudos. Who makes the seal brown lower right?

mumpy

A-List Customer

Insane fits. What kind of jacket is the second one from the left (light brown)?

MrProper

Insane fits. What kind of jacket is the second one from the left (light brown)?
This is a fivestar. I took an M-444 as the basis and then "redesigned" it.
It's actually a very cool jacket, but it didn't fit me 100% at the neck. I then sold it to a friend.

MrProper

Form follows function. Fit it so that you can scratch your nose and talk on the phone. Also, and this is probably the midwesterner in me, but a jacket that can’t be comfortably zipped is tits on a bull.
You're right about that. Fortunately, my jackets are all designed so that I can make phone calls or blow my nose without any problems. The Coastal Command in particular is perfect with the underarm footballs. You usually have problems when the jacket is tight and the armholes are large.

Dbtk44

New in Town
I wear my jackets zipped/buttoned at least part way about 75% of the time, so I agree with you bfd70. Rather have a little more breathing room, than less.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Well, "style preference" is so subjective, that nobody can tell you if your preferences are "correct".

That said, I prefer my B3 fitted as well, as there is already a lot of material going on. So no "fashionably baggy" look for me. It needs to fit though. To compromise function for looks is going nowehere for me, as others have said as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner