Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sucker for the high crowns

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Tell us about this stovepipe crowned wonder your wearing Root... totally 30's

Stovepiperob-vi.jpg

IMG_0829-vi.jpg

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I don't think I look good in a low crown. I'm a sucker for high crowns, too.

Here's my near-mint '30s Knox.

01.jpg

havershaw

Practically Family
I'm sure Root will explain...

...but I think that's a NOS 30s Dobbs with a super-rare plain edge. There are some photos kicking around of it somewhere, I think.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ok, I'll take the starch out of you guys. That hat is the same 30's Dobbs I posted earlier. That wedding was so cool! That was a true vintage wedding. Most of the guests had original duds on! The Bride and Groom drove off in a 1938 Cadillac four door convertible as well! The Brides dress was an original NOS wedding dress from the late 30's!

I helped her with a lot of things for that big day. It was very nice and I'm glad Matt took photos because I forgot my camera.

Any other questions?

Root.

Does it have a natural edge or a Guild edge? HeadSpring?
I have one in a very similar color with a Guild Edge and HeadSpring system. It is ravaged by moths but it still shows its moxy. :D I think I will wear it the rest of the day. It is hot and I do not have to be too careful with it. :cool2:

Regards to all,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, it doesn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t have any fancy features. I believe it was made before the headspring came around. Don't know for sure. I would have to say that this is an early to mid 30's model. It has a raw edge on it. I'm not sure what the Guild Edge is. JP, you seem to know your Dobbs man, inform me bud.:D

Root.

Originally posted by Wild Root
I'm not sure what the Guild Edge is. Root.

Oh, not all that well. There is always someone who knows more than me---lots and lots of someones. ;)
The Guild Edge is their version of the Cavanagh edge. When John Cavanagh developed the Cav edge in the 1930s, a strange situation existed. He was head of Cavanagh Limited but this was a subsidiary of Cavanaugh-Dobbs, Inc. (created in 1928). He owned the patent for the process but was part of another company so Dobbs named their version the Guild Edge. Stetson paid to use the process and called it the Mode Edge. Borsalino also paid to use the process and did so for years until the patent expired and they just quit making them with the Cav Edge anyway.
I suppose it all doesn't matter anymore because Knox, Dobbs, Dunlap, Resistol and Stetson currently are all now HATCO. Remember the Duran Duran hat craze in the 80s with the canvas fedoras? Yeah well, mine was a Dobbs. When I say they don't make them like they used to I mean it. PU! LOL

Regards to all,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh, I see. I know that edge by the name of Cavanaugh. I didn't know that the different hat companies of the day had different names for the same edge. Well, I knew of Stetson's Mode edge but, I... uh, er... Ok, I'm retarded LOL You know what I mean. Don't you? Sure you do. LOL

Root.

Thanks for the info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff