Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestion for Car Coat?

biffnix

New in Town
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, and I've checked some of the Q&A threads, but I'm hoping for a direct suggestion.

I'm looking for a wool or wool blend coat for traveling, in dark Navy, Charcoal, or perhaps even black.

I've considered a pea coat, but I think double-breasted may not look good on me, as I'm a bit wide in the chest. I'd like a coat where I can turn up the collar and use with a scarf on cold days.

Pricewise, I'm looking at sub-$1000.

Suggestions?

Thanks so much.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
There are several in the used market. Out of the brands I currently have in my closet, for the price, it is hard to beat a vansons. Durability wise, the Lost Worlds is my first choice. Pegasus make such a stylish coat. I must say, finding a used pegasus will take some time. Good luck with your search. If I am out in the town in vacation, the pegasus never lets me down.

biffnix

New in Town
There are several in the used market. Out of the brands I currently have in my closet, for the price, it is hard to beat a vansons. Durability wise, the Lost Worlds is my first choice. Pegasus make such a stylish coat. I must say, finding a used pegasus will take some time. Good luck with your search. If I am out in the town in vacation, the pegasus never lets me down.
Thanks for your suggestion. On googling the Pegasus coats, they look like they're all leather. I really am looking for a wool or wool blend coat, as I already have a couple of leather jackets I enjoy. I appreciate it, though!

Peacoat

Bartender
I have a Woolrich red and black plaid Mackinaw that is about 28 to 30 oz. It is a warm coat. I think board member Terry is a fan of wool also. He will probably weigh in when he sees this thread.

Filson used to make a quality Mackinaw, but their current offerings are only about 22 oz. The wind cuts right through them.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
It's safe to say that if you walk into almost any department store or men's store, whether posh or everyday, you will find a car coat in less than a minute. Car coats are short overcoats or raincoats*, and that's been the style for ten or fifteen years, or longer.

* It's easier to get in and out of a car or truck if you don't have long skirts on your coat, plus being inside a vehicle means you don't need the greater protection that a longer coat would afford like if you were walking instead of driving.

biffnix

New in Town
It's safe to say that if you walk into almost any department store or men's store, whether posh or everyday, you will find a car coat in less than a minute. Car coats are short overcoats or raincoats*, and that's been the style for ten or fifteen years, or longer.

* It's easier to get in and out of a car or truck if you don't have long skirts on your coat, plus being inside a vehicle means you don't need the greater protection that a longer coat would afford like if you were walking instead of driving.
So, I live in a very rural, very small town. As in, population 3800, and it's several hours' drive to any town with more than 10,000 people - either 2.5 hours south to Ridgecrest, in another county, or 2.5 hours north to Carson City, in another state. So, I'm looking for advice on solid brands and good quality where I can purchase online. I apologize, as I didn't make that clear initially.

Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR