Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions for movies.

Marty M.

Vendor
Hi Loungers,
I have a Haberdashery in Minneapolis. In our shop we show old movies ('30s-'60s) on our flat screen TV (see picture below). We do mute the sound and play music (Big Band, TV Theme songs and Rat Pack). I need suggestions on older classic movies that have a winter theme to them to play during our winter months. I have plenty of Christmas movies. Current winter theme movies that we play are; "The Thin Man" and "Swing Time". Any suggestions that you might have would be very helpful.
Thanks.
Marty

P1010088-2.jpg

Edward

Bartender
How about James Whale's Frankenstein? I don't recall what season it is set in intially, but there's plenty of snowbound action towards the end of that one.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Edward, you're mistaken: there's no snow anywhere in Frankenstein. I just rewatched it with my daughter last month. But Whale's The Invisible Man has snow at the end.

Chaplin's The Gold Rush is a little older, but never a wrong choice!

Last edited:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
"Remember the Night" is a great romantic Christmas movie (with a touch of darkness to it), starring Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck, written by Preston Sturges and directed by Mitchell Leisen. It's a favorite of mine and is available for purchase on DVD from the TCM Vault Collection, and can be rented from ClassicFlix.com (but not, alas, Netflix).

Marty M.

Vendor
Thanks for the suggestions. I hate when a customer comes into our shop and says "Oh, weren't you playing this movie last time I was here?".

conrad5157

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure if I would consider it winter themed, but if a cold weather movie is what you're looking for then The Thing(From Another World, 1951) might work. You can almost see and feel the frost exiting the screen. Even the interior scenes are like iceboxes.

Last edited:

djd

Practically Family
The Bishops Wife? Cary grant and David niven ? One of my favourites at this time of year :)

I also really enjoy one called 'Never Say Goodbye' with Errol Flynn although you can't get this on DVD to the best of my knowledge

cotillion

New in Town
I always associate Miracle on 34th Street with Maureen O'Hara and a young Natalie Wood as the little girl with this type of movie.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Edward, you're mistaken: there's no snow anywhere in Frankenstein. I just rewatched it with my daughter last month. But Whale's The Invisible Man has snow at the end.

oops, must have garbled it in my head. I'm obviously thinking of another versions of Frankenstein and confusing it with those two. D'oh!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21