Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Question Related to Previous Thread

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Previous thread can be found here:
Black or Blue?

Please direct your attention to the suit listed here on Amazon.

I realize this is, yet again, a totally subjective question, but I truly need the Lounge's help in making a decision. Or to put this another way, I need assistance in preventing a sartorial/financial mistake.

Times are tight, but when opportunity knocks, one should answer. I'm desperately missing a Navy suit in my wardrobe (I "outgrew" the other) and this deal appears to be quite good.

Could you guys look over this suit, at the cut, at the color, at the description, and tell me what you honestly think of my potential purchase?

I would not bring this to the lounge, as it is more of a personal matter, however, I don't have any friends, family or close associates with whom I could discuss the matter.

The pants are double pleated, and although I'm not a HUGE fan of 140's wool (too thin, wrinkles easy), I don't plan on being too rough with, or otherwise wearing-out, this suit. I have a relatively good tailor that can cut the suit to fit me well enough and I will likely have suspender buttons added.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)

Justdog

Practically Family
Undertow said:
Previous thread can be found here:
Black or Blue?

Please direct your attention to the suit listed here on Amazon.

I realize this is, yet again, a totally subjective question, but I truly need the Lounge's help in making a decision. Or to put this another way, I need assistance in preventing a sartorial/financial mistake.

Times are tight, but when opportunity knocks, one should answer. I'm desperately missing a Navy suit in my wardrobe (I "outgrew" the other) and this deal appears to be quite good.

Could you guys look over this suit, at the cut, at the color, at the description, and tell me what you honestly think of my potential purchase?

I would not bring this to the lounge, as it is more of a personal matter, however, I don't have any friends, family or close associates with whom I could discuss the matter.

The pants are double pleated, and although I'm not a HUGE fan of 140's wool (too thin, wrinkles easy), I don't plan on being too rough with, or otherwise wearing-out, this suit. I have a relatively good tailor that can cut the suit to fit me well enough and I will likely have suspender buttons added.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)

Jones new york makes Black/ Navy/ Charcoal 3 Button 100 percent virgin wool super 100 suits made in Canada. Most excellent suit usually 525 but are always on sale at the Bay Canada at 30 40 and 50 percent off. Just a a humble suggestion of course. I would be a bit wary of suit listing for 1000 dollars on Amazon selling for 99 dollars. Check out Michael Kors as well. Generous with material both these suggestions.

Tomasso said:
Sorry but that is a really cheap suit.:eusa_doh:

I'm not disputing what you're offering at all, Tomasso, but could you, for the benefit of those of us who don't know much about these matters, briefly tell us what gives this away as being a "really cheap suit"? Or would that take a book?

Like Justdog, I'm immediately suspicious of anything that's allegedly worth a thousand dollars being offered at a hundred.

Justdog

Practically Family
Suspicious

tonyb said:
I'm not disputing what you're offering at all, Tomasso, but could you, for the benefit of those of us who don't know much about these matters, briefly tell us what gives this away as being a "really cheap suit"? Or would that take a book?

Like Justdog, I'm immediately suspicious of anything that's allegedly worth a thousand dollars being offered at a hundred.

Also bet I know where is was made One with link stitches:)
There are a lot of articles on deception of fabrics and the thread counts, 140 could be a blend. Always look for the wool mark. New wool. Course that's not referring to retro. I had a pair of Joseph Abboud super 120 trousers and a Pal Zileri 120 The difference was night and day. Abboud in that case were like tissue paper. Zileri was superb. Crumple a good handful of suit material in your fist and it should fall back into shape and not wrinkle up. Theres tons of knowledge at FD on suits fabrics cut quality.

Undertow

tonyb said:

As am I, TonyB, which is why I'm glad I've posted the question for you all to mull over.

I agree, Tomasso; could you please expand on the cheap aspects. I can always use education on these matters. :)

GBR

One of the Regulars
there is no such thing as a free lunch - nor a decent cheap suit. No label or other testament and they seem as much concerned on the packaging as the garment's attributes. Leave Amazon to sell books and other defined goods not see them as decent outfitter.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
tonyb said:
tell us what gives this away as being a "really cheap suit"?
To quote Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it." ;)

But seriously, I've actually seen these suits at Filene's Basement, TJ Maxx and Marshall's in recent years. They're entirely machine made, fused garments using mediocre cloth, at best.

The seller's photos show the faults in material and construction. Bubbling and warping on the right shoulder,chest and waist; While the cloths rigid and stiff handle is indicated at the bend of the left arm.

41j2DvE4rpL._SS400_.jpg

And, let's not even mention the crotch of the trousers. :eek:

Undertow

Tomasso said:
Sorry but that is a really cheap suit.:eusa_doh:

I'd suggest buying a high quality pre-owned suit off eBay. Something like Hickey Freeman.

This sounds like a great idea, Tomasso.

Only problem I run into, much akin to my hat problem, is size. I'm a 50L, which I tailor down to about a 48L due to my broad shoulders. Trying to find decent used suits in either size, under $100 can prove difficult, although not impossible.

I was hoping this was a good, cheap suit, rather than a cheap, cheap suit, if you follow.

But thanks for the advice, and I welcome any other opinions! That's why I love you guys! You just saved me over $100 of wasted time and money. ;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Undertow said:
I'm a 50L, which I tailor down to about a 48L due to my broad shoulders. Trying to find decent used suits in either size, under $100 can prove difficult, although not impossible.
Here you go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy