Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit story (sort of long)

matei

One Too Many
I don't know if this is the right thread but... I have a story pertaining to suits that I thought some of you might find interesting...

My father-in-law was a star athlete for communist Romania (a competition skydiver), who later went on to coach the national team and attain an important position in the party hierarchy. As part of a priveleged class, he got to travel abroad quite frequently and had access to all sorts of interesting things and people.

At one point he came into possession of several bolts of high-quality English woolen cloth (forgive my lack of knowledge of the trade lingo) - two patterns that the then president had chosen during a visit th the UK. The rule then was that for five years, only the president could wear said pattern - it wouldn't do to have any old bumpkin showing up wearing the same threads as the man in charge. How they enforced this, I don't know... One didn't much try their luck during that regime.

In that period, one didn't come into contact with material such as this every day, so my father-in-law held on to the material. He wasn't sure what he would do with it, but perhaps it would come in handy.

I eventually appeared on the scene, and he had a brilliant idea - he would have me several suits made from the material, using one of the same tailors employed by the late president. The tailor happened to be a neighbour. With communism several years gone by this stage, people like him were struggling to make a living. No one ordered suits or alterations any more.

It was my first experience having a suit tailored to my frame/build. Off-the-rack suits never fit well, but these fit me to a T. The tailor even noticed that one shoulder is slightly higher than the other and compensated accordingly in the shoulder padding. I was impressed. Even back when I was in the military, the fella kitting us out for our dress uniforms didn't catch this.

The material that my father-in-law gave me was in pristine condition, especially given its age. It is much different than what I find used in today's suits. It is heavier, stiffer yet smoother. Unlike some of my off-the-racks, after a day of wear all that is required to smooth it out is to let it hang overnight. The weight of the cloth sorts that out.

The tailor's work is also different. As he was from an older generation, he made the suit as they did 40 someodd years ago - no shortcuts. Plus - his old client was a rather demanding individual, so he was well versed in his craft. He was very happy to have the opportunity to make a set of suits, and the money helped. We went back for several fittings, and during this time he shared all sorts of interesting stories with us. It was a great experience.

We're going back to Romania in April/May in time for Easter, and I intend on looking this gentleman up to see if I can commission several other articles of clothing.

Well... hope you found that interesting!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Buna ziua Matei...

... that's almost gidday mate...

Yes, that was interesting- a nice story. Thanks.
So your Wife is Romanian...
I spent a little time in Romania back in '94 and I must say, I found the place very intriguing indeed. I have a couple of Romanian friends here in Denmark actually- the younger one is guitarist in a Danish metal-ish band called Mnemic, just in case you're interested. They're getting quite a lot of publicity and touring Japan in 2 weeks time and the 'States later in the year. Anyway, just some very vaguely related Romanian news from my side. Don't have any Irish news today.

Pa, ciao,
BT.

matei

One Too Many
Vai de mine, ce supriza!

... ma bucur ca v-au placut povestea mea! ;)

I'm glad you liked me story.

We truly are an "international" couple! I'm only half Irish - hence the Romanian (actually Moldovan) connection. My wife is 100% though, Bucharest born-and-raised.

I'll try to post some pics of me in the suits. The tailor was very clever, leaving just enough space in case I, as we say in Romanian, "take on proportions". It wasn't all that long ago that they were made, so they still fit.

Compared to the way suits today hang, they look rather formal and almost stiff. I like 'em though.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Wow, matei! Regardless of if you ever get to "proportioned" to fit into them, you should hang on to those suits! I would also write down the story and providance of the suits and keep the documentation somewhere near or with the suits. This is the kind of stuff that's really cool to hand down to your grandkids! Thanks for sharing!

bink

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
That's an awesome story! My grandfather was in shipping and travelled a lot as a young man, and apparently he had a great many custom tailored British suits. Sadly, he didn't leave me any of them after he died, but I still like hearing my mom's stories about my grandpa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21