Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Hat Suggestions?

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Looking for ideas for a warm weather hat. It's almost mid-March, which means that in southern California, I'll have to start thinking about warm weather hats (especially since I shuttle back and forth between Long Beach and Palm Springs).

Many of you have good things to say about the Akubra Capricorn...thanks.

Other suggestions for lightweight and light-colored felt hats to get me through early summer?

And suggestions for new panamas/straws with a fedora look (front pinch, upturned brim in back) other than the Capricorn?

Thanks for the help!

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
I'd be interested in suggestions, too. My wife and I have been in this discussion today. She's of the opinion that anything other than light gray, beige, white, and natural straw is too dark for our hot, Tennessee summers. She's probably right, but I'd like to know what lightweight options are out there.

I have a white panama that I wore last summer. I'm looking for some new hats for this year.

MattJH

One Too Many
I made a thread requesting assistance on warm weather fur felt hats not too long ago and there are many helpful replies.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Jazz:

I just moved to SoCal last June from the Northeast, and I've found that the low humidity here does lend itself to lightweight felts despite the heat. But the only ones I've found have been vintage. I have a Borsalino Allesandra, and a Stratoliner that work great. I have recently received a lightweight Art Fawcett which I'm sure will work well. My Akubra Sydney would work, but its black.

The trick is to get a light colored, lightweight felt. In Long Beach it won't get as hot as it does here in Pasadena, so you're lucky there.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Thanks for the so. Cal. advice

kaosharper1 said:
Jazz:

I just moved to SoCal last June from the Northeast, and I've found that the low humidity here does lend itself to lightweight felts despite the heat. But the only ones I've found have been vintage. I have a Borsalino Allesandra, and a Stratoliner that work great. I have recently received a lightweight Art Fawcett which I'm sure will work well. My Akubra Sydney would work, but its black.

The trick is to get a light colored, lightweight felt. In Long Beach it won't get as hot as it does here in Pasadena, so you're lucky there.
You're right, the ocean breezes cool us down here...although I do spend some time in Palm Springs in spring and summer, and by July it's in the 115+ range. But also low humidity, so I'll look around for those you mention (I'd love to score a Borsalino and a Strat!). I'll check out Art Fawcett, too--I've heard many good things, and this may be a good reason to visit.

I've been in Long Beach for 9 years now, but have only just started the fedora wearing, so learning a lot as I go!

davestlouis

Practically Family
I'm a new guy here with a tangent to this thread...I work in a cemetery, in a dark suit, and am tired of cooking my head on services during the summer. I need a dressy hat that will keep my head out of the sun, but it really needs to be a dark color to match the somber mood in the cemetery. Any thoughts?

RBH

Bartender
davestlouis said:
I'm a new guy here with a tangent to this thread...I work in a cemetery, in a dark suit, and am tired of cooking my head on services during the summer. I need a dressy hat that will keep my head out of the sun, but it really needs to be a dark color to match the somber mood in the cemetery. Any thoughts?

One of these in a dark color would fit the ticket.

http://www.millerhats.com/straws.htm

Oh.. and Welcome to the Lounge!

kaosharper1

One Too Many
davestlouis said:

An Akubra Sydney from David Morgan would fit the bill. It only comes in black and is a lightweight felt. I does come open crowned, but its easy to bash because it is so lightweight.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
jazzncocktails said:
And suggestions for new panamas/straws with a fedora look (front pinch, upturned brim in back) other than the Capricorn?
Thanks for the help!

I may sell my panama and get another Optimo milan.
Lefty said:
Optimo milan - cooler than a panama, looks good with everything
DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0037-1.jpg

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Maybe a dumb question...

But why do people wear felt at all during summer - animal fur is soo hot even if it is lightweight. Straw is much more airy and ventillated. [huh]
??????????????????

Here is are a few questions for the Loungers:

What do the Cowboys, hunters and outdoorsmen do in the summertime when it's hot?

What did they do in the past?

Did they switch to a lighter weight hat?

How about the boy scouts in the past when they used to wear campaign hats as part of the uniform? Did they switch over in the summer?

In general I tend to wear the same hats but carry a bandana or hankie and swipe ocassionally. If outside I'll pop the hat off for a few and dry out or get that bandana and mop up a bit. I think the protection from the sun over rides any sweating. If it's hot- you're gonna sweat.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
If I planned to ride a horse all summer, wrestle cows and such, and generally be a rugged-type, I'd wear a sturdy hat. Being far less exciting, a bullet-proof hat just isn't a necessity.

What I am saying is that for probably the vast majority of the men that wore hats, they had the one and stuck with it all year long.

Others may have had the choice to own several hats and therefor had seasonal choices.

We tend to turn what was personal choice into LAW, into a "you must" type of thing and it is in reality not that type of thing.

You must own a straw hat.
You must have a lightweight felt.
You shall not wear the staw hat past such and such a date.

I'm just waiting for somebody to start writing tickets as the fashion police.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112