Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer storage of felt hats

univibe88

One Too Many
I think it's time to put my felt hats in their boxes to store them away for the warmer months. What do you guys do to ward off moths? I've lost some lesser worn clothes to moths, so I am very afraid of them.

Sure there are old fashioned moth balls, but I really don't want my hats to smell of mothballs.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
univibe88 said:
I think it's time to put my felt hats in their boxes to store them away for the warmer months. What do you guys do to ward off moths? I've lost some lesser worn clothes to moths, so I am very afraid of them.

Sure there are old fashioned moth balls, but I really don't want my hats to smell of mothballs.

The smell goes away pretty quickly. Im gonna put a few of them in open plastic bags in my hats.

seed

Familiar Face
What about just putting them in their boxes and then putting the boxes in large enough plastic garbage bags which are twist-sealed at the opening? No way moths will get in there.

I'm suffocating....

seed said:
What about just putting them in their boxes and then putting the boxes in large enough plastic garbage bags which are twist-sealed at the opening? No way moths will get in there.

I've heard that it's not good for a hat to be sealed up tight in a plastic bag. that they need to breath.

I have several boxes from baily that a local store was selling for $4 a piece I was going to put the hats in there.

I don't know if they are "acid free" but has anyone had expereince of the old cardboard boxes damaging a hat?

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RobFedoraField said:
I've heard that it's not good for a hat to be sealed up tight in a plastic bag. that they need to breath.

I have several boxes from baily that a local store was selling for $4 a piece I was going to put the hats in there.

I don't know if they are "acid free" but has anyone had expereince of the old cardboard boxes damaging a hat?
I can't speak to your newer Bailey boxes.
As a rule, the older the paper (or cardboard) the
less likely it has a high acid content. I have long suspected
that the discoloration we see in hats is not from the box but
from bleed from the leather sweatband.

I don't know that felt has to breathe, but I'd guess that
sealing a hat in plastic invites mold, due to trapped moisture
and a lack of air circulation. Hat supply places sell thin plastic
sized to fit over the crown of the hat. If you're concerned, try that.

seed

Familiar Face
If you're worried about moisture, you can always use a dessicant (bag or whatever). Putting them away during a particular arid day and or while the house AC is running on overdrive would also help. As for acid concerns, you've got plastic to put over the ring in the box or you could put some foam around the rim like how Art does with his VS boxes.

As for "breathing", I highly doubt that relatively short summer storage would suffocate them, if breathing is even necessary.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
seed said:
Seed, I recently bought a vintage 3x Beaver Stetson fedora that seems to have been stored in just that way: wrapped in tissue paper, boxed, and sealed in plastic. The result? Mold spores and rust stains from humidity that can gather in the bag. Not recommended.

Thankfully, the rust stains were only on the liner, with one spot on the underside of the brim.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Cigarband said:
You can get Cedar chips and shavings at almost any Garden center.

Some cedar chips are treated with substances to repel insects and plant diseases. Some are colored. Personally, I'd stay away from those.

Ande1964

Practically Family
Cedar Planks

I've been buying the cedar planks Costco sells for grilling. You know they don't have anything toxic in them. I saw them up on the band saw and throw a few pieces in each box. The freshly cut wood smells great, too.

Anj

seed

Familiar Face
jazzncocktails said:
Seed, I recently bought a vintage 3x Beaver Stetson fedora that seems to have been stored in just that way: wrapped in tissue paper, boxed, and sealed in plastic. The result? Mold spores and rust stains from humidity that can gather in the bag. Not recommended.

Thankfully, the rust stains were only on the liner, with one spot on the underside of the brim.

That's where the dessicant comes in. The only problem is the dessicant may make it too dry. Also, how long was the hat stored that way? And was it in a particular humid area and or stashed during a particularly humid day? I know you probably don't the answer to the latter...nor even the first, but both are important variables.

As for cedar chips, I think I read on this forum that they don't work all that well. I don't know, but that's what I read here.

One perhaps semi-extreme measure which would be effective is running an oscillating fan over where you store your hats. Good circulation and flying insects hate moving air.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
seed said:
That's where the dessicant comes in. The only problem is the dessicant may make it too dry. Also, how long was the hat stored that way? And was it in a particular humid area and or stashed during a particularly humid day? I know you probably don't the answer to the latter...nor even the first, but both are important variables.

As for cedar chips, I think I read on this forum that they don't work all that well. I don't know, but that's what I read here.

One perhaps semi-extreme measure which would be effective is running an oscillating fan over where you store your hats. Good circulation and flying insects hate moving air.

You're right, seed, I don't know the answer about how long it had been stored...picked it up from an antique store, and the owner could only say that the tissue paper was also rust spotted, like the liner. Dessicant might not be a bad idea, especially for just a few months. And I'm using the cedar balls prepared specifically for clothing storage...so far all seems ok. I may plant some lavender just for the hats, as many on the site seem to recommend it.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I keep all my hats on a shelves (out of boxes) in various closets of my house year round. Its climate controlled and I don't have moths roaming my house searching for my fedoras...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk