Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summers latest fashion trend?

MCrider

A-List Customer
Read this on msn.com today.

"Spring Trend: Straw Trilby Hats
Both edgy and classy, trilby hats have been worn since the 20s by every kind of guy you can think of, from gamblers at the horse races to soul musicians and indie rockers. Straw is the material of choice for the spring and summer seasons due to its lightness and ability keep your head cool. It’s a perfect complement for men’s fashion across the board. It might even top off what will be your lady’s hottest go-to outfit this season—the romper."

So basically what we've known all along is now a fashion trend.

Geesie

Practically Family
I hold little hope that this will spark an interest in well-made and tasteful hats.

I also hold little faith in the accuracy of any major news outlet's "this year's hot fashion" guesses.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Geesie said:
I hold little hope that this will spark an interest in well-made and tasteful hats.

It will not. Young men will buy cheap, ultra-stingy, ultra-tapered cloth or woven paper Target trilby hats, then toss them aside when that trend becomes old hat, if it really becomes a trend at all.

chum

Familiar Face
Who here wants it to be a trend anyway. Trends fade away...I wear my hats because they look good and i want to wear them!

Scotus

One of the Regulars
I've noticed a lot of people around here with them and have seen them in all the department stores. I've noticed a lot of "woven paper" stingy brims, but I'm not sure what "woven paper" is, so I'll have to go Google that.

HATCO

Vendor
Well that analogy isn't entirely apt. It's a bit like saying table sugar is a man made product to imitate real sugar. They are both sugar, one went through a refining process. Much the same, Shantung is a cellulose product as is "real straw", but Shantung offers a viable way to get consistent width and strength at a lower cost.

Bruce Wayne said:
Woven paper pretty much means it is a "straw" hat made from shantung straw. It is a man-made product made to immitate real straw. The new straw Stetson Whippet is made form shantung.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Another trendsetter?

Sigh. I guess it's too much to ask to expect the entertainment news media to know the difference between a boater and a pork pie, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Lindsay Lohan goes for the Buster Keaton look in stylish boater hat

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...es-Buster-Keaton-look-stylish-boater-hat.html

article-0-08AFDEAC000005DC-764_224x423.jpg
article-0-06BC7D21000005DC-165_224x423.jpg

By Chris Johnson
Last updated at 3:49 PM on 12th March 2010

It's the second time she been spotted wearing it in as many days, so it would be safe to say Lindsay Lohan is quite a fan of her new boater hat.

The American actress was pictured wearing the trendy headgear as she left her Paris hotel yesterday.

The boater is making something of a comeback at the moment - but was also an accessory that became silent film comedian Buster Keaton's trademark.

Hat's a bit similar: Lindsay Lohan wore a Buster Keaton-style boater hat as she left her hotel in Paris yesterday

American star Keaton, who reached the height of his fame in the 1920s, used to make his own hats.

However, the chances are Lindsay would have forked out for her grey one, complete with black ribbon.

The Mean Girls actress teamed her headwear with a three-quarter-length black coat, leggings and black boots with metal strips across the shins.

Also known as a skimmer, the boater hat boasts a stiff brim and flat top and usually have a ribbon wrapped around them.

Making a comeback: The headwear is now back in vogue and it seems Lindsay is a big fan, having worn it twice in the past two days

They recently re-emerged onto the fashion scene at a Marc Jacobs show, and now the likes of actress Anne Hathaway and model-turned-fashion designer Chloe Sevigny are fans too.

So it is probably more likely that fashion-conscious Lindsay has been inspired by the runway shows rather than Buster himself.

The actor, who died aged 70 in 1966, was most famous for his silent movies. His trademark was physical comedy with a consistently stoic, deadpan expression, earning him the nickname 'The Great Stone Face'.

He appeared in films including The General (1926), which became known as his favourite silent movie in which he starred.

Harry Street

New in Town
Mr E Train said:
Sigh. I guess it's too much to ask to expect the entertainment news media to know the difference between a boater and a pork pie, isn't it? :rolleyes:
Agreed. Doubly disappointing, since:

1) the boater was typically worn by girls in private schools in England. I know this because my sister had one as part of her school uniform. Before we became ex-pats, that is...

and

2) the Daily Mail is a British news-paper. One would hope for better. [huh]

SteveAS

Practically Family
My girlfriend's 11 year old son (who lives in the hipster district of San Francisco) has recently started wearing very cheap trilbies exactly of the sort alluded to by Mr E Train. I think when such hats are available at Target and its ilk, it was a short-lived trend that passed its zenith. And I'm glad of that.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Exactly. And I didn't mean to put down man-made straws, just cheap straws that feel like plastic, like the kind of hats you can buy at Target. I picked up and handled a loose-weave (looked like twisted paper yarn) straw hat by Vans one time because I kind of liked the style of it from a distance, and it felt like a damn scouring pad.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
"Trendy" straw trilbys or fedoras would be nice if they could be decently made at a decent price. That may have been the case in the old days, but not now. Decent straws cost as much as a decent felt hat and affordable straws are paper junk, or if made of real straw, the hat can be held up to the light given the very loose weave. Not good for my bald noggin :eek: .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana