Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses that work well with a Fedora?

gdkenoyer

Familiar Face
I've a pair of Oakleys, wide and narrow, with red-tinted lenses. They look more than a little odd with either my Dobbs or my PB Panama.

Shooting glasses (classic Ray Ban, etc) don't seem to make it either, they bring up memories of cool-hand-luke chain-gang guards...

The men-in-black or blues brothers, squared off style seems more appropriate.

whatcu think?

spiridon

A-List Customer
Depends on my mood, or which hat I am wearing. Usually end up wearing some clubmasters, or small oval or round raybans. I have almost as many style sunglasses as I do hats (the old OCD thing!;) )......so the possibilities are many!:D

TopHatCat

New in Town
spiridon said:
Depends on my mood, or which hat I am wearing. Usually end up wearing some clubmasters, or small oval or round raybans. I have almost as many style sunglasses as I do hats (the old OCD thing!;) )......so the possibilities are many!:D

Spiridon, I love the green tinted sunglasses you have on in your avatar. What brand/make are they exactly?

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
I wear exclusively stingy fedoras. I have found that "classic" styles with thick plastic frames (Wayfarers, for example) go best with them. I use vintage Polaroid Cool-Rays, nice shades, like this:

For wider brim hats, I have this idea that metal-frame aviator type glasses might work better. I wouldn't know for sure. Hardly ever been in the same room with a wide-brimmed hat :eusa_doh:

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Windsor frames are a can't miss. I prefer small lensed sunglasses with my fedoras...aviators or Wayfarers look hokey on me, there's always the yahoo that's got to make the 'Blues Brothers' comment.

spiridon

A-List Customer
TopHatCat said:
Spiridon, I love the green tinted sunglasses you have on in your avatar. What brand/make are they exactly?

Thanks TopHatCat.:D ....that's a pair of old Welch sunglasses. I'm not sure as to their vintage, but the lenses are in near perfect shape.

Jay

Practically Family
Dinerman said:
I wear big round green lensed metal framed sunglasses with mesh side screens.

Do you know the maker or year they're from? I've seen these somewhere but can't remember where.
Thanks

spiridon

A-List Customer
Jay said:
Do you know the maker or year they're from? I've seen these somewhere but can't remember where.
Thanks

Jay, I have a pair of these.....I believe mine are "Wilsons"....got them off of ebay, I'm not really sure of the vintage.

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
How do you think mirrored Windsors would look with a fedora? I'd like some windsors, and like the idea of them being mirrored, but with or without the hat I think the mirrored shades are very hit or miss.

44forrest

New in Town
Mirrored sunglasses with a wide brim hat remind me of the mirrored aviators worn by the badass guard in "Cool Hand Luke". So I guess it depends on the impression you want to make, friendly or intimidating. Choose wisely my friend.

Aerol

A-List Customer
Aviators

I'm fond of Randolph Aviators. www.randolphusa.com

A quality lens, they are original USAF issue, and are available at a reasonable price from a number of pilot supply sites on-line.

A great look with my Optimo Manhattan fedoras.

matei

One Too Many
I've got a pair of Ray Ban Clubmasters, and they work fine for me. I also have the Wayfarers, but they're too large for my liking. I find the combination of the larger Wayfarers and a fedora is rather too evocative of the Eighties and/or Elton John.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Aerol said:
I'm fond of Randolph Aviators. www.randolphusa.com

A quality lens, they are original USAF issue, and are available at a reasonable price from a number of pilot supply sites on-line.

A great look with my Optimo Manhattan fedoras.
This is what I wear almost exclusively now. And Randolph Engineering has headquarters in Randolph, MA, so I am supporting a local company; something I try to do. The optics are amazing and I need good sunglasses because sunlight often gives me migraines. My "Crew Chiefs" were $70. I couldn't recommend them more enthusiastically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk