Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suspenders and Belts and Jeans, oh my!

Pilgrim said:
I've always loved that movie - and that song. Thanks to Sen. Jack for quoting it!

I think you're right that Dean Martin said the line about "his throat" in that dressing room scene, and he was quoting the big, older guy in a brown hat who kept saying "I t'ink dere's sometin' wrong wid his t'roat" every time Allen A. Dale spoke. That was one of the running gags throughout the movie, and it was a hoot. IIRC, the heavy with the brown hat also was knitting in more than one scene.

Yeah, the guy was knitting! I remember that now. lol A heavy knitting! :p
Great movie. I am surprised some of the new hollywood morons don't remake that one. :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

Mr. Jason

Familiar Face
I've never seen damage done to my pants when the tailor takes the loops off. Keep in mind that I don't buy vintage so none of my pants are one of a kind or anything like that.

One more thing. Last time, a few years ago, I saw some US Marines in class A but without their jacket on I noticed that in the back the waist band kind of came up a bit, wider, to a point where the buttons for the braces were. Seems like I've seen other pants done that way some where, a movie maybe. Anybody got anymore info?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Wll said.

johnnycanuck said:
Last time I said anything on this subject my tailor and I were both told we did not know what we were talking about. Let me just say this, fashion is subjective. Time and place. Michel J Fox in "back to the future" (Marty) wore suspenders (clip on) with Jeans and no belt. Alan Ruck in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" (Cameron) wore both on chinos, Matthew Broderick (Ferris) only wore a belt. Two movies, one year apart, three fashion statements. Who is right? Who is wrong? Who makes that judgment call? Guys we are talking about fashion. Something so ugly it has to changes every season. We wear fedoras. We are eccentric and like to be noticed. As such we all have our own idea of what looks good. put it on, look in the mirror, if you like what you see, walk out the door. From some of the reactions I have read I don't think there will ever be a universal hard and fast rule on this subject. So kick back, relax, and lets find a new pair of white shoes to go with that Herbert R. Tarlek suit we found at the Vintage store. :p
Johnny.

I think Johnny has a good point, and generally go with that kind of thinking. I just felt so... out of my area... with suspenders (braces sounds cooler). Looks like there's no hard and fast answer, but all your words will be put into my personal fashion blender. Thanks guys. :) Who knew this would kick up so much discussion.
NB

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I will admit that I kept wondering why this thread wasn't in the Powder Room, until I actually started reading..

I was also trying to figure out how one would wear stockings with jeans....

*takes her mind out of the english useage of the title terms*

Mr. Jason

Familiar Face
Miss Neecerie said:
I will admit that I kept wondering why this thread wasn't in the Powder Room, until I actually started reading..

I was also trying to figure out how one would wear stockings with jeans....

*takes her mind out of the english useage of the title terms*

Hey I appreciate stockings on a woman no matter what she is wearing on top of them.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Mr. Jason said:
Hey I appreciate stockings on a woman no matter what she is wearing on top of them.

Now, why would a woman wear stockings over jeans? Or, how could one know she's wearing them when wearing jeans?[huh] Stockings are to be worn with a dress or a skirt... they're to be seen, not covered.

=WR=

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Mr. Jason said:
I have the belt loops removed when I buy the pants. Not that anybody cares but I got my braces from Albert Thurston, look them up on google. I wanted all white with silver shade buckles but they didn't have them on the website so I sent them an e-mail. The guy who wrote me back said sure he could do them. Read that again "he" could do them. He made the damn things and for a reasonable price. That's hard to find.

You were most likely dealing with Richard Kew, the CEO of Thurston, because he takes a particular interest in any special order requests. He says that they spice up his day. Thurston is considered by many to make the finest braces on the market as they supply Turnbull&Asser, Paul Stuart, Bergdorf Goodman and many other top haberdashers.

http://www.albertthurston.com/

Mr. Jason

Familiar Face
Tomasso said:
You were most likely dealing with Richard Kew, the CEO of Thurston, because he takes a particular interest in any special order requests. He says that they spice up his day. Thurston is considered by many to make the finest braces on the market as they supply Turnbull&Asser, Paul Stuart, Bergdorf Goodman and many other top haberdashers.

http://www.albertthurston.com/

Kew rings a bell but I'm not sure which one.

Not that anybody cares but mine are silk with leather ends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy