Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor help

sal

One of the Regulars
I have a 1940 Herringbone long Wool topcoat which is in mint condition overall.
The thread on the button holes is starting to fray a little. I would like to get is fixed but cannot find anyone to touch it.
I am told that you need a special machine to do it.
I live in Pennsylvania. Does anyone know where I might send this to be repaired?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted

They should be able to be repaired by hand. Making/mending a buttonhole is basic tailoring. Have you no tailors or seamstresses in your area?

step05.jpg

Hepville

One of the Regulars
If you want it to try it by your own you may go to youtube and type something like "sewing buttonhole by hand".
There are a few tutorials who might help you.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
An easy repair I have done on cord and tweed at least three times. If you have no skills, try an Asian dress alteration place. They tend to have superior hand sewing skills these days.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
An easy repair I have done on cord and tweed at least three times. If you have no skills, try an Asian dress alteration place. They tend to have superior hand sewing skills these days.

Funny... in Germany they say the same about the Turkish/ Oriental alteration taylors.

Tony B

One of the Regulars
If you really cant find anyone who will do it for you and you have any sort of sewing machine in the house try getting an old greist or singer buttonholer...they are for doing new buttonholes when making garments but with some VERY carfull lining up you can redo old ones.

You would be best with one of the old black ones that take cams/templates, if you are thinking of getting one measure your buttonhole and make sure the buttonholer has the right size templates....in America you should be able to pick one of these up for pennys.

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
I have a 1940 Herringbone long Wool topcoat which is in mint condition overall.
The thread on the button holes is starting to fray a little. I would like to get is fixed but cannot find anyone to touch it.
I live in Pennsylvania. Does anyone know where I might send this to be repaired?

Pretty frustrating. I recently took a new suit into my tailor and asked for working buttons on the cuffs along with the other standard fitting. He refused. Huh? He gave me the same story about the special machine but I always thought machine made button holes were never used on a bespoke jacket. Not that this one is, but still. He told me I wouldn't be satisfied with the handmade ones. Oookay. Anyway, I don't refer to him as my tailor anymore. More of an alterations guy.

Sheesh. My 19 year old son has been attempting with amazing success making his own gear from old unsalvageable gear. Including button holes! We also have a fancy machine in the house, but he's doing most of the work by hand, learned on his own. What happened to the trades in this country?

Tony B

One of the Regulars
The old singer/greist ones are made for the straitstitch machines and make a better buttonhole than anything the modern ones do..including keyhole ones as well as the more normal strait ones...mine is used on a 1937 singer 201...or i feel like going modern on my 1960s viking....my shirts might have dodgy seems but the buttonholes are impeccable.

http://susanscloches.blogspot.com/2010/06/using-vintage-sewing-machine.html

sal

One of the Regulars
Thank you all for your input
After calling 7 tailors, even finding a tailor is hard in my area. I finally found a gentleman that will take a look at the jacket. He sounds like he is 90 years old on the phone. I hope to have time to take it in this saturday. He hasn't said he will do it yet...just take a look

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21