Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Tailor Made in Cumbria"

Jovan

Suspended
I can't tell if you're joking or not. lol

"Sir Tom Baker is a contemporary tailor breathing some long needed fresh air into the pompous and pretentious world of bespoke tailoring."

:rolleyes:

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I actually think Tom Baker is more forward thinking than Mahon. Mahon is very much the purveyor of the style that we at the Lounge tend to look at as droll and hollow. If you look at his outfit when he's riding to Savile Row it's the standard navy suit white shirt and red tie. I'm not sure why he's filmed at Savile Row when he makes suits in Cumbria which is what... 300 miles away? The video was interesting, but do you really want a suit made by the man who made Beckham's suits? I'm just not sure I do, but he does have a pretty popular blog.

Visconde

New in Town
He makes suits for prince Charles, I think that says enough.

I'll take one! (in that £200/meter kashmir please)

With kind regards,

Visconde

Jovan

Suspended
Matt Deckard said:
I actually think Tom Baker is more forward thinking than Mahon. Mahon is very much the purveyor of the style that we at the Lounge tend to look at as droll and hollow.
xxxx765008.jpg

Matt Deckard said:
If you look at his outfit when he's riding to Savile Row it's the standard navy suit white shirt and red tie.
He varies it up a little.
yyyyyyy765106.jpg

Matt Deckard said:
I'm not sure why he's filmed at Savile Row when he makes suits in Cumbria which is what... 300 miles away?
His offices are in Savile Row.

Matt Deckard said:
The video was interesting, but do you really want a suit made by the man who made Beckham's suits? I'm just not sure I do, but he does have a pretty popular blog.
No offence, but that sounds a bit snobbish IMO. If someone cuts a good suit in any fabric you want and can do the style details you love, it shouldn't matter if they've made for clients who you dislike or may view as "not stylish." That's like passing up a good doctor because they operated on Pete Doherty. Okay, not exactly the same, but you get my jist.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It's not that he made Beckham's suits, it's that they all Beckham's suits tend to look like this.
detailsfashion1v.jpg

I mean there are a few better fitting without the tight waist style but I want some higher trousers on these guys.

Nice jacket.
beckham-mex-airpor.jpg

So yes I'm a bit snobbish in my want of that vintage look to come back.. That balanced 60's mod or 30s or 40s look.

I guess I really want to see a british tailor that can pull out that John Steed look and make someone look as though the clothes were crisp and made for them.

avengers-thumb.gif

iammatt

Familiar Face
Just two points...

I met Tom when he was fitting a guy I know. His stuff seems very nice, and he is a heck of a nice guy. I haven't tried him, and wouldn't as I am happy as is, but his work looked as good to me as any of the English tailors I've seen.

His office is in Cumbria, he meets clients at a fabric shop on Savile Row, just as lots of tailors do.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
lucky bums with your tailors that can take you around a whole fabric shop.

Im am a bit envious. Here in California I have Loads of swatches to pour over and some shops have a few bolts on hand, yet when it comes to fabric shopping we have to find what we can from a few stores that are cumbersome to get to.

Jovan

Suspended
Orgetorix said:
Aren't you looking for a tailor that is more backward thinking? AFAIK, Mahon cuts more or less the same style of suit that Row tailors like A&S have been making since stiff collars were the norm.
Same as I was thinking. He also seems fairly flexible (certainly more so than A&S, where he comes from) from all the entries I've read. Just a few examples, including the story behind the older gent's sequin suit.

http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000023.html

http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000064.html

http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000067.html

Speaking of vintage style, you'd better give us the lowdown on your suit collection soon before I go prematurely grey! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk