Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor recommendations in Los Angeles

jsmaloney

New in Town
Hello ladies! It's my first time posting in the Fedora Lounge - I've checked out threads before, but never needed advice until now. I'm looking for a tailor in Los Angeles who can handle some very special garments. First, I have some vintage dresses (late 1950s, early 1960s) from my grandmother that need to be taken in. Since these are so meaningful, I want to make sure that I take them to someone who is not just a good tailor, but someone who also understands the silhouettes of the garments.

I will also need this tailor to alter and give me advice on a very special dress - my wedding dress. My wedding isn't for another 18 months, but I will start looking for a dress in a few months, and I absolutely want a vintage dress. Does anyone know someone to recommend? I've done some cursory searches, but haven't been able to find someone who looks good AND understands vintage.

Thank you in advance!

Jamie

Idledame

Practically Family
I thought I found a good one, but she decided it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to satisfy impossible customers anymore! She now dyes old wedding gowns and makes them into fantasy ball gowns. She sells them as fast as she can make them! I've looked on yelp, but it seems they all have very mixed reviews.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Your best bet is to find someone who sews/alters vintage garments rather than an actual commercial tailor. Have you asked at some vintage stores like Playclothes in Burbank? Perhaps they know or use someone. I tailored my friends 50s wedding dress, so I know what you mean about wanting someone who understands vintage.

Good luck :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner