1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Tales of the Gold Monkey

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by GOK, Nov 27, 2006.

1. GOK

GOK One Too Many

[​IMG]

OK so not a film but still moving pictures nevertheless. Who remembers it?
    Anyone got the DVDs? What is the quality like?

2. PADDY

PADDY I'll Lock Up Bartender

Don't you just love that comic book look...

Never heard of it. But, I love that comic book look, like something from Boy's Own, all very stiff upper lipped and 'daring do!' I'm a sucker for that as it's pure escapism (not unlike Double Ohhhhh Heaven!).

3. GOK

GOK One Too Many

It was a TV series in the early 80s, set in the 1930s, about the adventures of a Bush pilot called Jake Cutter and his talking dog, One-Eye Jack! I used to watch it religiously!

http://www.goldmonkey.com/index.html

4. LaMedicine

LaMedicine One Too Many

5. Salv

Salv One Too Many

Now that Monkey was quality viewing!

6. GOK

GOK One Too Many

Monkey Magic!

[​IMG]

7. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

Tales of the Gold Monkey was a fun little show, though nothing worth getting too worked up about. It and another series, "Bring Em Back Alive", were network TV's transparently obvious attempt to cash in on the success of Raiders of the Lost Ark and its suddenly hip nineteen-thirties adventure concept. Both shows quickly vanished after one season. Tales of the Gold Monkey was the better show, but unless you were an impressionable kid (and I was already in my late 20s), it was really pretty low wattage... I have a feeling it would seem embarrasingly lame these days, with our higher standards.

8. GOK

GOK One Too Many

You're probably right Doc - I was around 18 when we first got it over here, so I suspect my taste may have become more sophisticated now....or not! I still want to see it again though :D

9. flat-top

flat-top My Mail is Forwarded Here

I have the DVDs. The quality is not bad. But yes, the show seems pretty silly now, very enjoyable (how could you not love Jack the dog??), but it didn't age too well! I'm glad I got them though.

10. jake_fink

jake_fink Call Me a Cab

I was a kid when this aired. I preferred Bring 'em Back Alive, though it was probably even more awful. I haven't seen BeBA in ages but I did see Tales of The Gold Monkey on DVD a a few years ago. The quality was crap and the show was just a very goofy, smug, campy Magnum PI set in the 30s. Really quite horrible.

Much better were Banyon, written by Bill McGivern - who wrote Big Heat (the main character was called Banyon in that, though no realtion to this one), and starrring the great Robert Forster.
    Banyon at IMDB

Also City of Angels, starring Wayne Rogers as a Jake Gittes-type detective in 30s LA.
    City of Angels on IMDB

Both series have been rebroadcast on television and have been available on possibly unofficial VHS tapes. Quality of the tapes I saw was poor, but the shows were not bad at all. Sheild, Sopranos, Deadwood quality: no; but good by 1970s tv standards.

11. drafttek

drafttek Guest

Former impressionable kid checking in here. I thought that was the best show EVER! I was 14 at the time and an airplane fanatic (still am, just not the 14 part). I haven't seen the show since and I don't think I want to. I'd rather it live on the way I remember it rather than go through the whole "H.R. Puff-n-stuff crushing of childhood memories" thing again (I can't believe that was my favorite show. Sid & Marty Croft were on some serious drugs).

12. Serial Hero

Serial Hero A-List Customer

That was one of my favorite shows as a kid. I remember seeing the plane and set when my family took the Universal tour in the early 80’s.

My friend has all the episodes. Maybe I had built them up in my head too much over the years, but some of them are pretty bad, better left to fond childhood memories.

13. GOK

GOK One Too Many

:eek: OMG Pufnstuff was seriously frelled up dren! lol What were they on?

14. Trampilot

Trampilot Familiar Face

Oh yes! I remember this when it was screened on BBC1. Brilliant series (or so I remember as I must have been about ten).

I've been asking friends about this and it seems I was the only person watching it.

15. GOK

GOK One Too Many

You're not alone, I get the same when I ask my chums if they remember Barbary Coast!

16. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Prisoner

The Prisoner with Patrick McGoohan, which ran in the US in
    the 70s is a favorite series--surreal and odd but still timeless.
    :)

17. The Wolf

The Wolf Call Me a Cab

that was one I liked

I had missed the pilot of "... Gold Monkey" with Ron Moody. However, I used to watch the series and enjoyed. I wanted to find the pilot on DVD but after people talk about it I have a bad feeling the show won't live up to memories.
    Now I can spend my time trying to find "THREE" ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0136672/ )on DVD.
    I liked what I remember of "City of Angels" also. I heard the star, Wayne Rogers, wasn't happy with it.

Sincerely,
    Tales of the Gold Wolf

18. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost A-List Customer

I loved this show. Jack was my favorite. If he was asked a question, he would bark once for NO and bark twice for YES. He had a fake eye, that was a very valuable opal, I believe. Jake was always losing Jack's eye in poker games. The one problem that I had, is that Jake flew with the Flying Tigers. At the time the show was taking place, the Flying Tigers had not even been formed, but is was a good show anyway. I just loved the Goose that Jake flew. The mechanic for the plane also stared on The Black Sheep Squadron. Can not remember his name at this time. Wish they would bring a new adaption of the show back.

Gray Ghost

19. carebear

carebear My Mail is Forwarded Here

Just a point, Tales of the Gold Monkey predates Raiders by a couple years.

It has some fans, the COW folks would fit right in. :D

http://www.goldmonkey.com/

20. GOK

GOK One Too Many

I didn't realise that about the QL episode (love that too!). Thanks for posting that CB.

A I forgiven for trashing Serenity yet? :p