Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talon Zippers

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Is there something special, or unique about Talon? I own a very old (1966?) King Kole red and black plaid Sportsman's jacket. It has a Talon zipper, but a couple teeth are missing (like some people I know!).
The jacket is in mint condition, wondering about putting in a replacement zipper.

Old US made jackets used to have them almost exclusively so they're special in regards to historical accuracy, which is the reason why repro makers use them but that's about it. They are excellent zippers in any case.

Clix is my favorite zipper, though.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Is there something special, or unique about Talon? I own a very old (1966?) King Kole red and black plaid Sportsman's jacket. It has a Talon zipper, but a couple teeth are missing (like some people I know!).
The jacket is in mint condition, wondering about putting in a replacement zipper.
Talon was once the largest zipper manufacturer in the world. These days that distinction falls to YKK. They are good quality, and often found in period retro garments from the era before YKK rose to prominence.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
IMG_1683.JPG
This is the jacket, from the late 50's, early 60's.

robrinay

One Too Many
I've just seen a brand new 'bomber' jacket in Next - a UK chain store, with a heavy duty brass repro of a 1970s Talon zipper so it looks as if YKK have taken them over as regius mentions above. If you get a vigilink ad page find the arrow to continue to Next and it'll go straight to the aforementioned jacket.
http://www.next.co.uk/g502366s3#758582

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I've a jacket of similar vintage and it too has a heavy Talon zip. I personally prefer them over the dainty ones....

Worf

This Talon zipper is lightweight. Maybe that is why it has lost about three teeth?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I have an original Crown zipper on an Aero No-Name A-2 that I liberated from an old Cable A-2, and it works like a dream. Personally, I don't understand why people get so worked up about Hookless ones being so hard to use. Once you learn to always pull the male side hard down into the female, it's a cinch.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've got a repro A-2 with NOS 40's Talon Zipper....lining & knits have been replaced...Talon rocks on :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk