Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tanker Jacket Stenciling

Edward

Bartender
How does one go about stenciling a name onto the back of a tanker jacket?

Context: I'm considering knocking up my own version of Travis Bickle's Tanker Jacket. The pre-made replicas are GBP210 odds, plus shipping from Japan... I can put together my own for half that, including importing the patches. (Okay, it won't have the nylon lining that DeNiro's (presumably commercially sourced) did, but still....). This would be dependent, however, upon being able to get the BICKLE stenciling on the back of the jacket. Is this something that one can make a fair fist of at home, or best left to the experts?

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Here is how I would do it.
Get some good pics of the one you want to copy.
Recreate the image to the proper size.
Print it out on card stock.
Cut it into a stencil.
Whiff a little spraymount on the backside.(Let it dry a little before laying it on the coat.)
Lay it on the coat on a flat surface.
Put some small weights on it in strategic areas to hold it down good.
(Taped up stacks of 4 or 5 pennies or nickels work good for this)
Look into what kind of paint will work best on fabric.
Then spray or tamp the paint on through the stencil.

I say this not having seen the jacket in the movie in a long time.

Hope this helps you get started.
Post some picks when you get it done.

Rufus

Practically Family
Edward.. You can get Stencil sheet at most art shops..It's a thin plastic, and you cut it with a scalpel.

It's advantage is it will not absorb paint/spray, and ruin the jacket underneath.. Mask ALL areas, not being sprayed.. (Preparation is 90% of any job)

You can source US Army stencilling on free font sites and print it in photshop to size.. (Or I can do it for you.)

:)

Soaks in.

I think that there are specific paints that are used on cloth, you should check the fabric store and the hobby shops on that.

From what I have seen, regular spray paint soaks into the fabric, it doesn't stay on top.

Edward

Bartender
Thanks, folks - I am a bit clearer now! (Rufus, I might well draft in your assistance at a later stage!). John - I definitely would be planning to use fabric paint, which (once ironed over to fix it) will be flexible and soft with the jacket. Next stage now is - after Christmas - to lay hands on the jacket and order up the patches from Japan. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran