Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taubers Vintage Horsehide Crosszip Motorcycle Jacket 40

technovox

One Too Many
Based on recent research with the Rin Tanaka book and archival and ebay photos, I’ve finally been able to determine the maker of this mystery jacket -- a vintage Taubers Horsehide crosszip. Looks exactly like the Taubers Jacket in the Rin Tanaka book “Motorcycle Jackets” (Reference Pg. 158). And several on EBAY have the same distinctive attributes. Pretty much all the indications and characteristics are there…except for a label. If you like the vintage black overdyed brown, then this has got that amazing look. Really lovely patina. No holes in the leather. Stitching appears solid. Just a simple jacket that’s been rode, loved, and worn…a piece of authentic motorcycle beauty. All in all, it’s a beautiful crosszip.

Features Scoville snaps. Large early Talon main zip (with T) and earlier Talon bell pulls on sleeve zips. All zips function, but pocket zips are missing the pull tabs. No belt. Lining is in decent condition- some wear around the neck, and some wear throughout, a couple of small fleabites, but overall wearable. Lining at the end of sleeves will need some attention. Interior pocket. Could use a good coat of Lexol or Pecards. but plenty of wear left. Fits me a little tight, and I typically wear a size 42 so it’s more of a size 40. Here are the approximate measurements:

Shoulder to shoulder:18”
Armpit to armpit:22”
Shoulder seam to end of sleeve:24”
Base of neck to bottom: 23”

The earlier Taubers were made of horsehide, and the later ones with Steerhide. Based on the weight and wear of the jacket, and the earlier Talon zippers, I believe this to be an early horsehide. A classic vintage Taubers motorcycle jacket with loads of character and priced to move.

Price is $175 – Free to pick up in person, or add another $25 for shipping CONUS.

VCross_Main.jpg

VCrosszip_back.jpg

VCrosszip_belt.jpg

VCrosszip_collar.jpg

VCrosszip_sleeve.jpg

VCrosszip_Talon.jpg

VCrosszip_lace.jpg

VCrosszip_lapel.jpg

VCrosszip_lining.jpg

RinTanaka.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads