Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taylor's Leather Wear Police Jackets

Fifty150

One Too Many
There's a little tag around the collar which says "Made In Pakistan". You can remove it. I took mine off. Now I have a good jacket, which does not say "Made In Pakistan".

My experience has been that Taylor's Leather jackets are pretty good. I own several. I haven't had a problem with any of them. I think of Taylor's as a value product for the consumer. Almost as good as a jacket costing twice as much. Apples to apples would be the Chicago Police jacket from Taylor's versus Nate's. The elephant in the room is the price. $309 vs $899.95. You can point out all of the other obvious differences. Better hardware. Better leather. Better stitching.......... But is that jacket really 3 times as good, or worth triple the price?

Chicago Police officers get a uniform allowance of $1950 annually. This is suppose to pay for their uniform purchases and maintenance. My uniform dry cleaning, (4 wool shirts, 4 wool pants, 1 "dry clean only" jacket) is almost $25 a week. I don't see how a uniformed officer can spend half of his uniform allowance on a jacket.

I happen to own the Taylor's version of the Chicago Police jacket. I got it over a decade ago. No, I have not been wearing it every day, so it's really not the same as a Chicago Police Department officer who is wearing it every day. My jacket does see motorcycle rides. I haven't fallen. But it is under the sun, and in the wind at 75 mph, getting hit with road debris and insects. I do have a motorcycle officer uniform leather jacket issued by my own agency. Not an exact comparison. But no loose stitches, no broken fasteners, no dry, cracked leather.

For a collector or afficionado, there's zero value. Unless you want to lay claim to owning the best jacket ever made in Pakistan.

For a guy who wants a good jacket, fairly well made, there's value in a Taylor's jacket. For a fraction of the retail price of more expensive jackets, you will get a good jacket which will last for a very long time.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My experience has been that Taylor's Leather jackets are pretty good. I own several. I haven't had a problem with any of them. I think of Taylor's as a value product for the consumer. Almost as good as a jacket costing twice as much. Apples to apples would be the Chicago Police jacket from Taylor's versus Nate's. The elephant in the room is the price. $309 vs $899.95. You can point out all of the other obvious differences. Better hardware. Better leather. Better stitching.......... But is that jacket really 3 times as good, or worth triple the price?

I own a Taylor I got in their sale (although it sits unworn unless I decide to make a Jim Gordon costume of it rather than selling) and the quality and patterning are very good. It doesn't have the finishing of the premium brands; rather, it feels like a utilitarian garment in construction (and the leather quality is very good).

I think I would rather get it than a Nate's, even with the price being equal. This post by AeroFan is a good example of why I wouldn't buy a Nate's.

For a guy who wants a good jacket, fairly well made, there's value in a Taylor's jacket. For a fraction of the retail price of more expensive jackets, you will get a good jacket which will last for a very long time.

To this end, they just sent out an email with a nice women's sheepskin cross-zip. I'm sure it would be a great buy for a lot of people. Good quality leather, strong construction, removable winter liner. Costs the same as the real leather jacket at Zara but almost certainly better-made.

And for rock fans, it would double as a Chrissie Hynde jacket on a budget. Throw a denim vest over like she did, and whether it's a Lewis or Taylor is invisible anyway. (It's not a Lewis copy design; I just mean because her signature look was red cross-zip with denim vest.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24