Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Technical Gear versus Horsehide on a long trip.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Man, what a great road trip! Down south here we've got the Great Ocean Road, a long winding 151 mile trek along the rugged coastline of Victoria. It's dedicated to the WWI vets and is considered the world's largest war memorial. It's a real fun trip to take and seeing your photos made me want to do another road trip like that. The beautiful scenery your good lady captured is really a sight to behold!

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Man, what a great road trip! Down south here we've got the Great Ocean Road, a long winding 151 mile trek along the rugged coastline of Victoria. It's dedicated to the WWI vets and is considered the world's largest war memorial. It's a real fun trip to take and seeing your photos made me want to do another road trip like that. The beautiful scenery your good lady captured is really a sight to behold!

Thanks, I think she made some great photos and even though we had Navigation on the bike she handled all the navigation as well using pages torn out of the Harley Touring Guide finding really cool roads that guaranteed we see parts of America most people only see on the tube.

The Great Ocean Road sounds fantastic. I don't know if I will ever get down to Victoria but if I do it'll be on the list!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The Great Ocean Road sounds fantastic. I don't know if I will ever get down to Victoria but if I do it'll be on the list!

I second the Great Ocean Road suggestion, it's a magnificent drive/ride and just the thing for a squirt in a sports car or bike. I've done it twice now and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Great pics by the way, looks like you had a ball.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What? Wilbur you mean you found a woman who can navigate?!! ;) Actually my wife is pretty good
too I have to admit!

Nice stuff Smithy . . . so many picturesque trips to take.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Yep and I must follow instructions pretty well too...She didn't slap the back of my helmet once during those 5,000+ miles.

Actually we had a lot of fun working out directions and frankly meeting folks and finding out about the places we were in....I swear Joselyn can get a conversation going with anyone, we were in the middle of nowhere heading up through some backroad in Nebraska and stopped for gas etc... I went to the john and came out to find her speaking with no less than 6 Farmers as they explained how they harvest their corn for ethanol production. Their little county in Nebraska produced 11,000,000 gallons of ethanol last year. We must have passed 5 or 6 of these ethanol producing factories as we went through that portion of the "Heartland". That is serious resources....and I won't even go into the coal trains we saw on some special scenic highway near Guernsey, WY going and coming it really was mind blowing.

I would add that yesterday was the 24th year of Joselyn and I "navigating" each other so "I ain't complainin"!

IXL

One Too Many
We usually wear leather jackets while riding. After they are soaked from a rainstorm they air-dry pretty fast while going down the road. It might be different if the rain lasted for hours/days, but we haven't experienced this, yet.
For hot weather, we wear Vanson fully perforated jackets, which seem to be more comfortable than any of the textiles we have tried.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
We usually wear leather jackets while riding. After they are soaked from a rainstorm they air-dry pretty fast while going down the road. It might be different if the rain lasted for hours/days, but we haven't experienced this, yet.
For hot weather, we wear Vanson fully perforated jackets, which seem to be more comfortable than any of the textiles we have tried.

Oh I really tried but carrying an extra jacket just would not work. I had picked up a perforated leather jacket for the trip but with two of us it just had to be some kind of combo that worked and this did work. Oh well wore the perforated to work when I road in this morning.....But I am really looking forward to colder days for horsehide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner