Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Telephone advice:

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Hello gang, it's been some time since I've posted but, I'm looking to replace a receiver cord on my model 202 Western Electric and I
Can't seem to get the assembly off the back of the E1-type handset. The receiver end is in two parts, the spit cup and the top end that hold the aluminum element that holds the speaker and such. That's the end the cord is connected to that goes to the phone it's self. So, my question is if there's a special trick to getting the whole thing apart. The spit cup comes off with ease however the upper black plastic portion is not budging!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

=R

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, waved a hairdryer over it for 10 minutes or so, no soap! She just wont budge and I'm not sure what to do, maybe a pair of vice grips?

I contacted a phone collector on a website who repairs these things, said there is a tool for removal of the stages on E1 type handsets and said that if I got the spit cup off, that's the most expensive part... so, I guess he's saying: I've got the tool, but you can sell me the spit cup and find another handset... :p

Oh woe is my phone.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Whatever you do don't use a vice grip -- that bakelite is very brittle, and it'll crack before it'll move. What's holding it stuck is the aluminum oxide that's built up on the threads of the metal fitting that holds the transmitter and that the bakelite parts screw onto. I loosened mine up by squirting a tiny bit of Coca Cola into the threaded area with an eyedropper -- the phosphoric acid in the Coke dissolved the oxide just enough to allow me to loosen the cap. Just dont get any of it in the actual transmitter.

If the Coke doesn't work, try a few drops of common kitchen ammonia -- if that doesn't loosen it, nothing will.

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I loosened mine up by squirting a tiny bit of Coca Cola into the threaded area with an eyedropper -- the phosphoric acid in the Coke dissolved the oxide just enough to allow me to loosen the cap.

I used this trick to unscrew bakelite handles off a metal base on an old dresser, and it worked like a charm. If I kept trying to muscle it, I would probably have stripped the screws, or worse, cracked the handles.

Do not use vice grips! Use a strap wrench! They're not expensive and you can pick them up at any Hardware Store. Heck, I think even Wal-Mart has 'em now. It won't go to waste, either, because you can use it to take oil filters off when you change oil (if you change your own oil lol)

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Hey all, I got it off this morning! I borrowed a type of wrench from my father, I put a dish towel around the aluminum transmitter, placed the wrench over where the grooves are on the transmitter, gave it a few twists and she loosened right up! Replaced the cord and I plugged in all in and nothing was damaged. I appreciate the concern some have expressed with bakellite, but rest assured, I've been collecting this old stuff for 18 years, I know these things can be delicate, I always try and be gentile, and if force is needed, it must be applied correctly and in the right amounts.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I appreciate it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk