Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell me about Harris Tweed?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hairy Tweeds...

I love a really hairy tweed in the winter. I wear my uncle's which I inherited when he passed away, so it is about 45-years-old now. Dark green with mottled flecks of brown and gold (all very autumnal and rustic!!) and looks great with a pair of green wellingtons and a couple of labradors out in the country, or if you are more pre-WW2, then a good sturdy pair of full length leather officer's field boots).
I do like my tweeds and here is a photo of me in my tweed jacket (I call it my Bertie Wooster, as it is a tad lound with the houndstooth check) at the London Old Fedorian's Dinner last year.
Your tache reminds me of a good sailing friend I had out in Gibraltar, called Ralph. He had a super handlebar moustache with waxed tips, and he carried it off a treat. As you would say, it was his TRADE MARK :)

31-01-2006-boisdale-grup-1-1.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
I have two of them that I use for foxhunting during the informal season (cubbing), and for other wear as well. Unfortunately, the one I purchased 20 something years ago is now a little tight. It is my favorite, but I am no longer a 40 long--closer to a 42R. The Harris tweed is a good casual jacket that keeps one fairly warm during the early Fall without the need for an overcoat. Plus, they have that "old school" feel to them.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Harris Tweed

I have three Harris tweed jackets, and a nice tweed overcoat, all
leftover from grad school days. Had intended to wear tweed more,
but since leaving academia for various sundry pursuit, I seem to
have abandoned this classic style.

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
I'm wearing a nice tweed presently. I got it in Long beach CA not too long ago with a friend, Wild root nows the one I'm talking about. It's a late 30's 3 button notch lapel with 4 patch pockets and a belted back. It is very comfortable and perfect for fall with it's hues of dark camel with a light rust window pane. Made by Hills of Santa Ana, CA. What a great material, I wish I had the trousers to match.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Here is one of my favorite Harris Tweed jackets. I grab this one to wear on my evening walks in the more temperate months. I love the bold Houndstooth:

And here is another tweed jacket. I am partial to tweeds. Perhaps it is the harsh New England climate. I really like the fit of this one:

Peacoat

Bartender
Hey Harp, I see you are in Chicago. Does your name have anything to do with your being a fan of the blues harmonica as perfected on the South Side back in the fifties and sixties? I'm an old blues harp player/blues DJ myself, and was just wondering if that was your style.

The real Henry

Practically Family
I simply love my harris tweed coat, it's a little itchy, but I can always put in my always overpacked:)rolleyes:) gladstone bag and the jacket will come out looking like new!

23wwlna.jpg

(and yes I do look a bit strange in that pic!lol )

Regards,
Henrik

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Style

Peacoat said:
Hey Harp, I see you are in Chicago. Does your name have anything to do with your being a fan of the blues harmonica as perfected on the South Side back in the fifties and sixties? I'm an old blues harp player/blues DJ myself, and was just wondering if that was your style.

My style is Kyokushinkai karate.lol
But I do enjoy the blues at Blue Chicago and Kingston Mines....:)

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Have you seen this? I'm sure you've felt this. It keeps getting lighter and lighter and lighter. When does Harris tweed become paper?
FilsonMattDeckard-vi.jpg

Harris tweed should be stout and hard and heavy. Ladies should refuse to hug you because it is too rough. Why is it lighter and lighter and lighter? Why buy tweed if it isn't going to keep you warm... I bought the new stuff it doesn't keep you warm. If you want it super light just wear a shirt?

moustache

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
I'm with you, Matt. You should be able to strip the paint from a car with it. ;)
I want my Harris Tweeds to be thick and interesting, and full of color.

Mine are of the older variety!! How delightful!!

Jim

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Tweed

Matt Deckard said:
Have you seen this? I'm sure you've felt this. It keeps getting lighter and lighter and lighter. When does Harris tweed become paper?
FilsonMattDeckard-vi.jpg

Harris tweed should be stout and hard and heavy. Ladies should refuse to hug you because it is too rough. Why is it lighter and lighter and lighter? Why buy tweed if it isn't going to keep you warm... I bought the new stuff it doesn't keep you warm. If you want it super light just wear a shirt?

:rolleyes: Thin tweed equals thick price....

Haversack

One Too Many
I do lament the passing of the British clothier GA Dunn & Co. They were great purveyors of Harris Tweed at reasonable prices. It used to be that every High Street had a Dunn & Co store. When I was stationed in Europe back in the '80s, I would always get a new jacket whenever I happened to hit the UK. Alas, what fit the young and active no longer fits the older and sedentary. And Dunn's Harris Tweed jackets were none of this modern tissue-weight bumf either. Solid clothes they were. When I get back to England next year I'm hoping to have some luck in finding some of these jackets in the used clothings stores.

Haversack.

Dav3

New in Town
yeah, I've got a harris tweed jacket lying around here. It's my uncle's, but he's not going to use it anymore, so my mother just gave it to me since she figured it looked like something that I'd like. I wasn't so sure I liked how it looked on me, but it's started to grow on me recently.

pict2051yt6.jpg

pict2052cu8.jpg

Lots of little bits of color in there. I wouldn't say it's too thick, but it sure is rough. I'm not sure what size it is, but it fits me pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk